Chapter 21

June 10

"DIE!!!!!" shrieked Taylor, leaping out at the person who had found us. She sliced at his face with what looked like Wolverine claws (the superhero, not the animal).

Two more people came running. Jamie ran at one, shining bright light in his eyes while kicking him.

Me and Gloria looked at each other, shrugged, and charged the last person. Sometimes, in winter, protected by our parkas and ski pants, we fight each other, so I know for a fact that Gloria's a good fighter.

I punched him in the head as she dived at his legs and pulled them, tripping him. He fell to his knees and I stomped on his feet, ignoring my sore fist.

He got back up and charged us. Gloria dodged, but I wasn't fast enough. He took me down and punched me in the stomach, winding me. I coughed and gasped for air.

He bent over me and was about to punch me again when Gloria pushed him over, using her full body weight. He was down for barely a second, but during that second, Gloria stomped on his face.

I told myself to suck it up and go help, and even though I was still gasping for breath and wanted to do nothing but just lay there, I pulled myself up and kicked him in the stomach, winding him like he did to me.

Between the kick to the stomach and the stomp to the face, me and Gloria had him beat.

Good. Now I can collapse again.

Taylor whistled. "You guys are good, for newbies." She had blood on her hands from slicing her guy open. I hoped she hadn't killed him, but I wasn't sure. He was pretty bloody.

Jamie and Gloria had bruises everywhere. Jamie was more beat up than Gloria, mostly because she was fighting alone. I was still recovering, but I was pretty excited that I had just defeated my first bad guy.

Apparently, so was Gloria. "That so cool!"

"It was!" I agreed, sitting up.

"We need to get out of here before more people come," said Jamie.

"And go tell Lea!"

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"You what?!" exclaimed Fay.

"We knocked out one of the security people!" repeated Gloria with the same crazy enthusiasm that she had when she told me about the time that she stepped in front of a moving truck on a busy street because it wasn't stopping for her.

"Why wasn't I there?!" demanded Lea, with a crazy grin on her face.

"Your fault!" teased Jamie.

"But guess what happened when you were gone!" said Fay super excitedly.

"What?" I didn't want to guess. No one ever does. I wonder why people still say that if no one ever wants to guess.

"I found out that I have water powers!"

"Now we're freaks together!" exclaimed Lea.

I sniffed dramatically. "You're making me feel left out," I whined. Then, to top it all off, I pouted. Then I burst out laughing because I'm horrible at keeping at straight face.

"Are you sure it wasn't just Tessa?" asked Jamie.

"Yeah, I'm sure! I asked her what else she could do and she said that she can also breathe underwater! I'm Percy Jackson!" Fay jumped up in excitement.

"You're weird," I stated.

"Nooooo," she said sarcastically.

Sophie yawned. "I'm tired. I'm going to sleep."

"Me too," said Morgan, extinguishing the fire in her hand that we were using as light.

"Hey!" shouted Taylor.

"Well, I guess we all have to go now," I said, pretending to be annoyed.

So we all went to our dorms and slept.