Chapter 9

June 9th

Supper was the first time we actually met the V1s. There were five tables, each meant for four people. The eight V1s all crowded together at one table.

I felt a now-familiar pang of homesickness. That's what we would've done if Lea, Erica, Jess, and Rose were here. But only three out the Seven were here.

Almost all of us are gigantic Percy Jackson fans, so when we realized there were seven people in our little group, we decided to call ourselves the Seven. There's also this other girl from a different class- Grace, her name is- that sometimes eats with us. I think of her as Nico.

So compared to that, we were very lonely.

I got my tray and sat down beside Gloria. The meal was a bowl of stew, a piece of bread, and a juice box. While I was eating, I watched the V1s.

None of them were using the powers I had seen when I first saw them, but I recognized some. The blonde girl with the glasses had fire powers, the brown haired girl had telekinesis, and that girl with the short hair who took two juice boxes had wings.

I guess I forgot to introduce everyone. I'm not good at finding time for all that stuff. Oh well.

So Gloria's Chinese, and although she tried to dye her hair red, it stayed black. She has lots of ideas, some good, some bad, and some just plain crazy. When she puts her mind to something, she'll stop at nothing to finish it. She's also very smart. There's more to her than that, but I'm not that good at describing people.

Fay's African- Nigerian, to be exact- and keeps her hair in one braided ponytail. She's an amazing artist, loves to read, and is very funny and silly. She'd prefer the word crazy, but oh well. She can also be serious at times, too, though. Oh, and she likes cookies.

I'm mostly Dutch, but with lots of other European stuff mixed in, but I go by Canadian, because that's where I was born and where we all live. I seriously don't know what colour my hair and eyes are. My eyes are a blue/green/grey-ish colour and my hair used to be blonde before I dyed it auburn. Now it's blonde/brown/red. Kind of a rusty colour. I'm taller than both Gloria and Fay, but not too tall. Honestly, they're kind of short.

I don't like to criticize other people or make them feel bad, so I mostly blame myself. I can be really negative in that way, thinking everything's my fault, but I used to be a lot worse. Other than that, I love drawing and reading and am pretty smart, although I don't usually try out my ideas. I'm too cautious, too scared of something going wrong. But when I do have an idea, I can get really bossy because I'm not good at telling other people my ideas so I just do everything for them. I also like cheese.

Now that I've gotten that part over with, back to the story.

"I wonder if there'll be cookies for dessert." Based on the descriptions above, guess who said that.

"No, sorry. They don't have dessert here," said a new voice. A V1 girl was standing by our table. "Nice to meet you. I'm Emily."

No one was saying anything, so I decided to take over. "I'm Madeline, this is Fay, and this is Gloria. We're new here." I mentally kicked myself for saying that. It's kind of obvious that we're new here.

Emily nodded and brushed a strand of red hair out of her eyes. "We'd heard that there would be some new girls." She frowned. "I thought there were four, though."

"There was when we were kidnapped," said Fay. "We don't know where Lea went, though."

"You were kidnapped?!" Emily exclaimed. We nodded. "Wow. We grew up here. As experiments. The people here, they pretend to love you but in their mind, you're just a lab rat."

"I knew it," muttered Gloria. "Do you like it here?" she asked, louder.

"Besides the training and the weekly bloodwork, it's fine. It could be worse." I had the feeling she was holding back on something.

"Do you have powers?" asked Fay. "You said you got experimented on."

"Yeah. We all do. Tessa controls water. Ally has wings. I can turn invisible."

"Can you turn other people invisible?" asked Gloria.

"If I'm touching them."

"Hmm...."

Just then, Amanda came into the room and yelled, "Supper's over! Get ready for swimming now!"