Chapter 16

Everyone was waiting for them in the dilapidated main room; the floor was cracked, dirt and debris were scattered around, and the light filtering in was tinged yellow from the grime on the glass. The metal bedframe in the corner was missing a mattress and the couch had several holes in it. Most of the team members were perched by the windows. Shockwave's eyes flickered to Dabi who was sitting up against the wall on the bedframe. The pyro stared up at him, blue eyes glinting behind his dark hair, as they walked into the room.

Standing slightly behind Shigaraki as their leader let out a raspy sigh, capturing everyone's attention; Shockwave discretely gave Dabi a subtle nod, a part of him was elated to see the man again, but that part of him had no place here.

The League of Villains leader looked at his group, "I've made a deal with the Shie Hassaikai..." Everyone gathered leaned forward anxiously, save for Dabi remaining stoic in the corner. "We're forming an alliance with them, and Chisaki has asked to... borrow Toga and Twice." The words hung in the air for a moment before Twice exploded.

Twice was normally erratic, his split personalities jumbling his words constantly, but at the mention of this; his two sides seemed to find a mutual agreement. Shigaraki's proposition was bullshit. "The hell do you mean? He killed Magne!"

Shockwave had to step forward, lifting his hand placatingly. He spoke firmly. "You'll have to hear the whole explanation. The Shie Hassaikai has shared their master plan with us. And it involves flooding the streets with a permanent quirk destroying drugs. They plan on completely eradicating quirks." Everyone, even Dabi, jolted a little at that.

"But he let it slip that the subject they're making these drugs from," Shigaraki hissed. "Is actually a young child. The heroes are going to raid their hideout any day now..."

Twice took another step forward as Toga's expression darkened sinisterly. Bubaigawara flailed his hands. "The fuck do you mean? Is this your idea of a joke? I'm not laughin', Shigaraki." Shockwave almost slipped up at the idea of Shigaraki cracking a joke.

"The plan they have is plenty promising," Shigaraki argued. "Starting today, the two of you are yakuza. They almost got Shockwave too, but I was able to hold my ground." It was true, and it was almost impressive to Shockwave; Dabi's eyes flickered at the mention of Shockwave almost having to join the Shie Hassaikai.

"Think about what you're good at, Twice." The gladiator offered. "You and Toga would be useful to the Shie Hassaikai, they have plenty of fighters, but no one like you two."

"Did that mask-wearing freak get to you?! Don't forget that guy killed Magne!" Twice cried out, his hands clawing at his head as he wrestled with himself. "He took Mr. Compress's arm, too!" Compress, who was sitting by the window with Giran getting a mechanical arm fitted, looked at the floor. "He... It was my carelessness that brought him to us in the first place!" The man pulled his mask off his head in a frenzy, visibly panicked as he stared down Shigaraki. "I'm a human too, y'know! Not just some game piece for you to shuffle around!"

Shockwave winced subtly as Twice yanked his mask back on, "Toga, say something!"

The younger girl hopped down off the counter she had been perched on. "To me, the league is somewhere I can be myself..." As she approached Shigaraki, a knife slipped out of her sleeve into her hand. Shockwave felt himself twitch at the sight, but Shigaraki waved him off, letting Toga draw closer. "It all started with Stain. I want to make this world a little easier for me to live in... So can you tell me, Tomura." She leaned closer, holding the edge of her knife to his throat, "Why do I have to do such an unpleasant thing?"

Everyone waited in tense silence as Shigaraki let out a sigh, and reached up to take off his mask. "Well, you see..." The sight of Shigaraki's face was a startling thing to see for the first time, the gladiator didn't know what he expected, but their leader's face was heavily scarred; he gave them all a narrow smile. "It's for my sake. And all of yours." As if the reveal of his face wasn't jarring enough, he continued to speak calmly. It absolutely floored Shockwave. "You see, they're looking to hamper the mobility of the league. And they will try to win you over to their side, since you would be useful to their cause, to subjugate you.