Chapter 17

"So how did your dad fuck you up?"

Shockwave choked on his drink as Dabi decided to speak up.

They had been lounging on the couch well after the sun had set, analyzing the news reports all evening together. Shigaraki hadn't sent a word to either of them, so Shockwave had opened some of his bottles. Time passed heedlessly as they criticized heroes whenever a fight was broadcasted; Dabi seemed to have numerous opinions about almost everything. Shockwave was happy to just sit back with a faint smile whenever he animatedly scrutinized both heroes and villains alike on their fighting prowess. To witness such a reserved and cold man be passionate about something; Shockwave wasn't all too sure the faint blush on his face was from the drink.

One fight ended, and the news reporters began to go over a study on the crime rates as they impatiently waited for the next one to begin. It was during this intermission that Dabi leaned forward, staring Shockwave down with sudden intensity. He didn't look intoxicated, but the gladiator noticed how some of the pyro's drink sloshed in his glass. And that was when he asked a very blunt question.

Shockwave wiped his drink off his lips, looking back at Dabi incredulously. He let out a sharp laugh, "Is that your idea of small talk?" Who was he kidding? The cage fighter had to remember who he was talking to. He leaned back against the couch with a resigned sigh, turning his head to consider the pyro as he spoke flatly. "Why?"

Dabi narrowed his eyes at Shockwave's reaction, but he didn't seem deterred. "It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you have daddy issues-."

"Look who's talking."

"It's only fair," The pyro butted back, schooling his expression into cool apathy. He wasn't even hiding how calculative his actions were. "You said you got me all figured out. Now it's my turn."

Shockwave tilted his head with a faintly bemused expression, his typically calm gaze had shifted to cold. "What do you want to know?"

"Your father," Dabi stated bluntly. "Who is he?"

Their eyes locked, the villain staring the gladiator down unflinchingly. Shockwave lifted his chin with a bitter smile, "The news report... You already know, don't you?"

Dabi grinned smugly, "Doesn't feel too good, does it?"

Placing his drink down with a derisive snort, Shockwave shook his head gently. "No, no... It's fair." He had a contemplative look on his face as he watched Dabi's reaction, "My father is an American Pro Hero, Metal Fist... I have an older brother that took after my father, and those two are a regular family business. Crime fighting duo bullshit." Shockwave let out a scoff, picking his drink back up to take a long sip. "They're... Well, I guess I didn't really live up to the example my brother set," His face darkened considerably, bitterness and anger festering in his eyes. "I suppose it's my fault my quirk didn't align with either of my parents. My brother got the strength of our mother's quirk, and our old man's metal kinesis ability. He was..." Shockwave gritted his teeth. "My parent's perfect son..."

He abruptly got to his feet, setting his empty cup down perhaps a little harsher than he needed to. "I'm heading to bed, it's late." His words sounded hollow and cold.

Dabi swiveled around in his seat as Shockwave started walking to the hallway, "How did you end up in Japan?"

"It's late," Shockwave repeated with finality, withdrawing into his room and shutting the door.

The pyro sat still on the couch for several moments, letting this new information sink in. "Shit..." He muttered softly to himself, glancing at the cage fighter's door. What were the odds? Dabi's eyes flickered to the clock on one of the shelves, "It's not that late..."