Chapter 24

It had been weeks since he disappeared.

Weeks since Shockwave's inexplicable disappearance, leaving Dabi in his place alone. Resting against the railing of the patio, he half-heartedly absorbed Hai's exasperated instructions on tending to the chickens in Shockwave's absence. His attention, however, remained fixated on Teapot, who aimlessly mingled among the other members of the flock. Amongst the fat, rotund birds, Dabi couldn't help but perceive Teapot as the embodiment of despondency.

As Hai continued speaking, Dabi found his attention gradually drifting away, receding into the depths of his own mind once more. The words uttered by Hai became increasingly distant, fading into obscurity as Dabi's thoughts consumed his consciousness.

Dabi retained vivid memories of his initial encounter with Shockwave, a recollection that dated back nearly a year ago now.

The pyro had scraped together enough funds to gain entry into an underground fight club—an exceedingly perilous arena where individuals from far and wide converged to witness and place bets on quirk-based battles. The matches drew a substantial online audience as well. Dabi had placed the minimum wager required to gain access to the arena, driven by rumors of illicit quirk-enhancing substances being peddled at these events. Some fighters even enjoyed sponsorship from these shady figures, effectively serving as living advertisements for the potency of such substances. Dabi's motivation had been to unearth something that could aid him in his quest to kill Shoto and destroy Endeavor.

Navigating around through the various compact arenas, Dabi meandered, ensuring his mask remained firmly in place, shielding his identity. However, amidst the cacophony of the bustling crowd, a voice blared from the speakers, commanding the collective focus toward the expansive central arena. Curiosity piqued by the announcement, Dabi couldn't resist diverting his attention in that direction as well.

A pivotal match within the tournament brackets had commenced, with the coveted title of champion for the month hanging in the balance. The challenger's name reverberated through the air, igniting a raucous uproar among the assembled spectators, as they eagerly scrambled to place their wagers. Meanwhile, the booming voice from the speakers proclaimed the imminent arrival of the reigning champion, whose remarkable two-year tenure represented an exceptional feat rarely witnessed in the arena's history.

As the sea of bodies pressed relentlessly towards the edge of the ring, Dabi found himself involuntarily corralled against the chain-link fence. Determined to carve out some breathing space, he unleashed a few strategic elbows to the midsections of those encroaching upon him. From his vantage point at the opposite end of the elevated octagon ring, he caught sight of the challenger, seething with an intense determination and furiously spitting through clenched teeth, clearly poised for combat. Although the challenger appeared fierce, Dabi rolled his eyes, unimpressed by the grandiose display. However, his apathy abruptly dissipated as another figure passed by on the other side of the chain-link fence, casting a commanding shadow over the assembled crowd.

Shockwave.

The reigning champion leisurely strolled along the periphery of the arena, his eyes squinting against the dazzling lights, while a mischievous grin played beneath his own facemask, directed towards the enthralled spectators. Dabi's gaze tracked Shockwave's every move as he sauntered directly in front of him, and in that singular heartbeat, it felt as if the champion's grin was aimed directly at him.

Returning to the dilapidated refuge within a makeshift hole in the wall where he had been squatting for the past few months, Dabi retrieved the pilfered phone he had acquired years ago. Swiftly tapping the screen, he entered a single search query: "Villain sighted in Osaka region engaged in a confrontation with No. 2 Pro Hero, Endeavor."