Chapter 19

Dabi shoved his way through the throng of people with ease, disregarding the scornful looks he received, as he strode toward Shockwave with a fuming expression. The former gladiator noticed Dabi's approach before Rin did, eyes going wide, and quickly said something in hushed tones to the sponsor before making his way over to intercept the pyro. He grasped Dabi's arm and pulled him to the dimly lit areas of the club before Dabi could utter a word.

"Do not murder Rin in the middle of this club," Shockwave warned Dabi in a low voice, swatting away the smoke from his exhale. Dabi clung tightly to the gladiator, his breathing rapid and heavy as his hands possessively curled around his hips. Shockwave instructed him to breathe in through his nose and out through his mouth.

"Why shouldn't I kill him?" Dabi hissed, casting a deadly stare toward an unaware Rin who had returned to the bar. "He's scum."

Shockwave sighed in frustration. "Yes, he may be a bit of a pervert, but he's never gone too far. And he was a significant supporter of mine in the arena."

Dabi's fury was palpable as he contemplated the situation. He felt his anger intensify, and small flames began to flicker around him as he struggled to control his emotions. "Fuck his money," he seethed. "I'm going to melt the flesh from his bones."

"No, no." Shockwave quickly intervened and urged Dabi to leave the area before the situation escalated. "Let's not do that." He tugged the agitated villain towards a concealed exit in the corner of the room, away from prying eyes. Despite his initial resistance, Dabi eventually relented and allowed himself to be led up a series of staircases.

As they climbed, Dabi's hostile tone persisted as he demanded, "Where are we going?"

"Hopefully, we can find somewhere for you to calm down," Shockwave said with a grunt as they climbed up the stairs. He looked at Dabi over his shoulder, "What's got you so riled up?"

Dabi's eye twitched involuntarily, wondering if the gladiator believed he was of little importance. "Are you serious? That bastard had his hands on you," he responded angrily.

Shockwave let out a small sigh of relief that it wasn't a more severe matter. "Ah, that. He's always been a bit handsy, but I don't let it bother me or go any further. It's just part of the job," he reassured the agitated pyro as they reached the top of the stairs. "Let's get some fresh air and cool off."

The gladiator had led him to the rooftop of the building the club was hidden under. The city's neon billboards illuminated the area that would have otherwise been dark, the surrounding buildings dark and abandoned. The roof was as dingy as the rest of the building, and bare save for a couple of maintenance units. Dabi wondered how Shockwave knew about this place, evidently given that no one was supposed to be there.

He must have sensed the unspoken question, "I stumbled upon those stairs maybe my... Third visit here? That time is a little fuzzy in my head, but Hai gave me a good talking-to afterward." He shrugged and gave a sly grin. "But he hasn't stopped me again, and it's so quiet up here." Shockwave walked closer to the edge of the roof, stretching his arms above his head as he took a deep breath of the sharp night air and visibly relaxed.

Dabi remained highly irritated and kept glancing around the area with suspicion, but he approached the gladiator from behind. Shockwave leaned back into him with a content hum, and the pyro tentatively grazed his arms with his fingers. As they gazed out at the city lights flickering in the night, Shockwave had a fond tone in his words, "I used to spend hours up here just... People-watching. It's nice, isn't it?"

Dabi was still visibly agitated, exhaling a burst of fire and causing steam to rise around him. In an attempt to redirect his attention, Shockwave shifted the topic. He turned slightly toward Dabi, "I have a question for you."