Chapter Thirty Five

"We'll miss you, Em!" Mona hugged Emily one last time before she, Elliot, and David got off the camp bus for their stop.

The gang and I had said our goodbyes to the rest of the campers and staff as they were all leaving.

The bus driver decided to same some weird route where he dropped Elliot's group off first rather than ours. He said it was to "avoid traffic". Hmm, sounded like a murderer's words.

Before I went into deep thought and paranoia of how the bus driver was going to kill us, Mike took a seat across from me.

"Hey, kiddo."

"Kiddo? Really? You sound like my dad." I chuckled.

I cringed at the thought of Mike reminding me of my own dad. Ugh.

He smiled. "Can't believe we're going back already. It felt like the shortest time."

"Yea, who knew two weeks would be packed with so much drama?" I sighed, "I'm just glad we can go back home and relax."

We sat in silence for a few minutes. I looked around at all the other campers; most of which were on their phones or sleeping. That's society for you. I looked to the alternate seat to find Blake glaring at me. I didn't think he meant it intentionally; he looked zoned out. Still, it was creepy.

Mike had turned the other way and was looking out the window, so that was my opportunity to talk to Blake. Not that I was trying to hide, but I didn't want anymore awkward moments.

I waved my hand in front of his face and he zoned back in. He glared at me again, then at Mike, then turned back around. Not before I gave him my best "what the hell is your problem" look though.

I really hoped what the girls said wasn't true for two reasons. One, he was sending me really mixed signals, and two, I really didn't want any more drama. It couldn't fit in my suitcase anyway with all those-- never mind.

They weren't condoms, okay?!

* * *

The bus doors swung opened, and I was the first to hop out and others followed suit.

"Aah, home sweet home!" I yelled at my house.

I turned around to find the tired gang trying their best to stay upright.

"I was going to invite you all to dinner, but you all seem tired. And to think my mom was gonna make her famous spaghetti too," I sighed sarcastically.

That perked everyone up, including Blake. If it was one thing I knew about the gang, was that my mom's spaghetti could make them happy even if their relatives died. Blunt and cocky sure, but it was true.

Once Sophie's cat died, and when I bribed her with the delicious noodles, she perked up a little too quickly.

Anyway, they all tried knocking each other down trying to get into my house while I followed behind laughing. I savored this moment actually. Watching a bunch of baboons knock down my door was probably the best thing I could ask for.

As I cracked up at the thought of actual baboons, I heard my mom's loud voice echo through the house. "We missed you guys, but I'd like to see my daughter!"

"Right here, Mom," I strolled in. She rushed to me and gave me a big squeeze.

"I missed you too," I managed to choke out.

My dad's deep voice managed to stop my mom from suffocating me. "Hey kiddos!"

See? Mike will have to stop.