Chapter 8: Flame Breathing

"It's nice to see you again Shoto, how was training with Uzui?" Kyojuro asked as he saw his student approach him.

"Good, I learned a lot about what I wanted to do with my breathing technique," Shoto answered.

"Great! Uzui sent me a letter earlier telling me to get started on teaching you Flame Breathing, pretty odd for him so I say let's do it!" Kyojuro said, walking into the Butterfly Estate.

"Start training with Flame Breathing now?" Shoto double-checked.

"Yes! It's time for you to learn more about the way we fight here, and we'll start with Flame Breathing for now," Kyojuro said as they made their way into the outdoor training area of the Butterfly Estate. "So, what do you know about Flame Breathing so far?"

"Not much, as the most I've seen was when you and Tomioka were sparring with each other," Shoto answered. "But I noticed Flame Breathing usually involves powerful singular strikes, most of them being from high stances."

"Yes! Flame Breathing mimics the ferocity and power of flames, most forms demonstrate that by attacking from a high stance," Kyojuro said.

"I've got a question though," Shoto said. "If Flame Breathing is supposed to mimic the nature of flames and fire, then why call it Flame Breathing rather than Fire Breathing?"

"Ah, a fine question indeed," Kyojuro started out with. "Their official names in the ancient texts from when the corps first started refers to it as Hono no kokyu, Flame Breathing. The base breathing technique that Flame Breathing is derived from is called Sun Breathing, officially known as Hi no kokyu. If Flame Breathing was to be known as Fire Breathing instead, it would've been written as Hi no kokyu as well. Of course, we couldn't mix the two up as they are very different techniques, so instead of Fire we went with an alternative name that meant the same thing, Flame."

"Sun Breathing, sounds pretty cool," Shoto commented.

"Yes it does," Kyojuro said. "I wish I could see what was so great about it, other than it being the first breathing technique that became the base of all the basic techniques of course."

"You've never met anyone who could use Sun Breathing even though you're a Hashira?" Shoto asked.

"Unfortunately, my status as a Hashira doesn't allow me to meet every slayer in the corps," Kyojuro replied. "But, I've asked the master personally about this, and he said he never heard of someone using Sun Breathing in the corps in centuries."

"That's odd, considering it's a historical and relevant technique you think someone would try to preserve it," Shoto said.

"I wish that was the case too, but it's obviously a challenging technique to learn if you consider that when these were first created. The original user had to revise the technique to teach it to others, which in turn created all the different styles we see today," Kyojuro said.

"I guess that makes sense," Shoto said.

"Anyways, we're getting off-topic here, are you ready to start learning Flame Breathing?" Kyojuro asked.

"Yes sir."

"Alright then, let's get started with the forms themselves," Kyojuro said, walking forward with his sword attached to his hip. "I'll show you the forms to give you a visual of what they do, then we'll go from there on how to adapt it to dual-wielding. Does that work for you?"

"Sounds good," Shoto confirmed.

"Alright. First form: Unknowing Fire. This attack allows us to charge at our opponent at high speeds with a single slash right at the demon's neck," Kyojuro explained while unsheathing his sword.