Chapter 35: The Slasher

A young teenager of average height was seemingly walking about town. Nothing was significant about him if you didn't know where to look, he just had plain black hair and hazel eyes. Those who do know the uniform of the Demon Slayer Corps can see him wearing the gray-tinted version under a blue haori. He stopped at a small noodle shop, seeing that two Kasugai crows were perched on its sign. When he walked in he could hear a chorus of "tasty" rings about the place, indicating he was at the right place.

"Flame Hashira, forgive me for intruding," he said.

"Please, come and take a seat," Kyojuro told him. "Master! Bring this young man what I'm having."

"You sure about that?" He asked as he sat down next to the Tsuguko.

"Yes of course," Kyojuro insisted.

"Don't bother trying to decline," Shoto said as he finished up his own bowl of soba. "He won't take no for an answer."

"Make that two bowls!" Kyojuro corrected.

"Three," Shoto added.

The owner of the restaurant walked up to their table, taking away both bowls. "My my, you both sure eat with gusto don't you? Sit tight."

"Flame Hashira," the slayer spoke up once the man went to cook their food. "Your work last night was magnificent."

"You're too kind, I only wish I could've done more," Kyojuro told him. "Shoto was the star with that one, being able to cauterize the woman's wounds on site. An ability I wish I could have myself!"

"You do know how much work it took in order for me to be able to do that properly right?" Shoto asked. "But it's nothing nowadays, so don't worry about it."

"How is she faring now?" Kyojuro asked.

"According to the doctor, the wounds she suffered shouldn't leave any scars," the slayer told them. "In fact, they'll heal up pretty quickly since they're already sealed up."

"I see, good thing she got treated so early," Kyojuro said.

"Yes," the slayer agreed. "The quick recovery will be thanks to you Shoto."

"Like I said before, it's not an issue," Shoto replied.

They got quiet when the old man brought out their food, taking time to properly thank him for the meal. Out of nowhere, he places a plate of tempura in front of them.

"What's this?" Kyojuro asked.

"A little treat on the house," the old man said.

"Many thanks!"

The slayer with them took his first bite at his food, eyes widening from the delight. "Tasty!"

"I agree," Shoto said waving his right hand around his bowl, surrounding it in cold air.

"What are you doing?" The slayer asked.

"Cooling it down," Shoto answered.

"But... why?"

"I like it cold," Shoto replied, then stopped to grab his chopsticks and start eating his now cold soba.

"Alright," the slayer said before turning to where the old man was. "Hey Master, I bet you'd thrive if you set up a shop in Uneo."

"Yeah, and what do you know about that?" The man asks.

"Master, how is business?" Kyojuro asks.

"How's it look to you?" He asked back.

"I see," Kyojuro said.

"Thanks to all the talk about the Slasher being at large around here, people stopped coming out at night," the old man said. "It's at the point where I even had to let my workers go. They say that a conductor was murdered just the other day. Also, in case you haven't heard yet, the Mugen Train is out of service now. Rumor has it that around 40 of the passengers on board the train disappeared without any explanation."