Chapter 32: Training With Light

"Alright, so what do we do first?" Okemia asked.

"Well, first we need to see how you can actually bend light," Shoto said. "We know that mirrors allow you to reflect it, therefore creating a beam of light. Maybe we should work on making you more visible?"

"I don't know, I've been trying for as long as I can remember," Okemia said. "I looked translucent when I was little, my hair was white and the color in my eyes was barely visible. The light is so hard to fight to make my appearance shine through, that's why it's easier for my body to be visible at night when there's not a lot of sunlight."

"So you fight the light?" Shoto asked.

"Yeah, what about it?" Okemia asked back.

"Your quirk is a part of your body, fighting a part of your body is extremely difficult or impossible," Shoto said.

"What are you getting at?"

"Let's start with letting your guard down first and see how your body reacts," Shoto said. "We can go from there once we know exactly what it does."

"Okay?" Okemia closed her eyes and took a deep breath. The walls she imagined for so long with her power were finally coming down, it felt both relieving and scary. She felt as if a warm blanket covered her entire body, signaling that she was letting the light around her pass through. When she opened her eyes, she caught Shoto staring hard at her, which she wasn't really expecting. "So... now what?"

"You're still translucent," Shoto said.

"Yeah, that's what I said would happen," Okemia said.

"What did you visualize when you did this?" Shoto asked.

"Letting my walls fall down," she answered. "Why?"

"I wonder if we can make you completely invisible," Shoto said to himself.

"Why would I want that?!"

"So you can sneak behind demons and remove their heads easily," Shoto said. "It looks like it also affects your stuff too, that's good to know."

"Well... that could be useful," Okemia mumbled.

"Have you ever changed the light's color?" Shoto asked.

"You can do that?"

"Yeah, it's all about the wavelengths and things like that," Shoto told her. "Try imagining yourself as a prism, letting all the light that goes past you change into all the colors in the area."

"That's... a cool idea," Okemia's thoughts started going. "Okay!" Once Okemia closed her eyes, she pictured a clear prism that she'd only read about. She pictured it all around her body as she felt the light pass through and spread out behind her. When she opened her eyes, she could see Shoto's grinning face.

"Looks like that worked," Shoto said. "So your body acts like a mineral that can manipulate light based on how you want it to. If you can change the color of light, you can probably change the color of your appearance however you want. That would make great disguises when doing detective work."

"Woah! I can't even change into my natural color! Much less something completely different!" Okemia raised her voice.

"Let's do that then," Shoto said. "Try to change into your natural color, like you've been doing."

"It doesn't work this well though," Okemia said.

"You said you were using a wall, right?" Shoto asked.

"Yes?"

"Light can still move around it. So maybe instead of trying to block it out try absorbing it," Shoto suggested.