Chapter 39: Derailed

"Inosuke! This entire train has turned into a demon!" Shoto told him. "There isn't anywhere on it that's safe! Tanjiro is heading to the front to try and behead him, go and help him out while the rest of us protect the passengers!"

"What do you know? I was right all along!" Inosuke bragged. "Talk about having absolute killer instincts as a leader, huh?"

"Now's not the time for that," Shoto said as he rushed over to the back. "I have an idea of how to minimize the ground we have to cover, but it involves my quirk so I'll have to leave you out of it. Go back up Tanjiro, you don't want to leave your underling to fight for himself, right?"

Inosuke huffed, he could see his ego growing by the second based on how his posture was shifting from that question. "Of course! I'll never leave my faithful underlings behind! Wait up Monjiro! I'm coming through!"

When Shoto saw Inosuke moving forward, he began to place his right hand on the floor of the car. The ice coming from his body covered everything around him except the passengers in a sheet of ice that was about a couple inches thick. "If the Hashiras can't even break through this sheet of ice without putting strength behind their sword and potentially breaking it, weak slabs of flesh won't get through it."

Shoto decided to move further back, as to try and not seem like he was going for Enmu's head. He could assume Enmu was able to feel everything going on inside the train since it was his body now. If he could distract him and hold his attention so Tanjiro and Inosuke could cut his neck without any issues, then it was best for him to make use of his unique abilities. He managed to create the same sheet of ice for another 2 cars pretty quickly, it would've been more if he didn't have to deal with opposition. Since he was finished up with the back three cars, he ran forward so he could do the same for the other 5 passenger cars in front. When he got to the 4th car from the back, the flesh started to fight back more.

Shoto didn't even have to use his swords, he just burned off the tentacles of flesh to try and delay regeneration as he made his way to the other side of the car. He put his right hand on the wall and proceeded to do what he had been doing to the cars behind it. He knew it was only a matter of time before the ice melted and would allow the tentacles to do what they pleased. He rushed to the next car, which happened to be the one he cut the decoy's head off. There the flesh started giving him a hard time, even when he burned them off they just kept coming. 

"It would appear that a lot has gone on since I was napping, what an ugly mess. If the other Hashira were here to see what I let happen... I'd be ashamed!" Suddenly, Kyojuro blitzed through the train and slashed all the flesh in the car Shoto was in with a fierce blaze lighting up once he was done.

"Welcome back to the real world, Kyojuro," Shoto said. "Do you think you slowed down its regeneration?"

"My slashes were quite thorough, it should take a minute for the demon to recuperate," Kyojuro said. "Do you have a plan for this catastrophe?"

"Yeah, Tanjiro and Inosuke are heading to demon's head up front while I freeze all the cars in a thick layer of ice to prevent the flesh from trying anything," Shoto said. "I got the back four cars already, I also fought its decoy body as to think we have no idea how to fight back. I don't know how Tanjiro and Inosuke are doing, but I'm hoping I'm taking its attention away by freezing everything around him."

"Do you think it'll hold?" Kyojuro asked.

"It should, I trust Tanjiro and Inosuke, they should be able to get to the head before the ice melts enough for the demon to get through," Shoto replied. 

"Good! Either way, I'll keep watch of these back 5 cars just in case, you keep freezing everything and watch over the front three with the demon girl and blonde boy," Kyojuro said.