Chapter 38: Enmu's Decoy

Shoto sat up quickly, gasping for breath from the shock he felt in his dream. He felt around his neck, not feeling anything different than normal. He sighed in relief, glad that slicing his neck in his dream did nothing in reality. He turned behind him, seeing the demon he saw in his dream. The demon stood up and walked into the aisle and looked up at Shoto. 

"Are you gonna keep your promise?" He asked.

"Yes-" Shoto was going to tell him before he watched Nezuko headbutt Tanjiro. 

"What the- Nezuko what are you-?" Shoto asked her as her forehead started bleeding

"What the- Nezuko what are you-?" Shoto asked her as her forehead started bleeding. He saw the tears in her eyes well up and spill over from the pain. She starts whining and crying as her efforts are in vain, only to turn back to Tanjiro to try it once more... except she lit him on fire.

"What the hell! That's not gonna help!" Shoto shouted as he watched Tanjiro go up in flames. To his surprise though, Tanjiro wasn't being burned at all, just the rope that was tied to him. "I see, your Blood Demon Art doesn't affect humans, only demons."

"Did you... lie to me?" The demon in the aisle asked.

"No, just got distracted," Shoto said as he pulled out one of his swords. "You'll die a quick and painless death." As he promised, Shoto quickly sliced through the demon's neck, severing his head and his body disintegrating. Shoto looked around at the others, seeing them tied to a demon and flinching in their sleep. He was a bit surprised at the fact that Kyojuro was actually choking the demon in his sleep, but he figured he just honed that instinct in just in case a situation like this arose. "I can't mess with the ropes so how am I supposed to wake them up?"

"Hmm?"

Shoto looked over at Nezuko again, seeing that she was completely fine. He also saw the burnt rope on Tanjiro's hand, along with that nothing happened to his body and he was talking about waking up. "That's it! if your fire can affect demons, then it might be able to weaken the effect of the Blood Demon Art. Nezuko, can you burn the other ropes around them?"

Nezuko nodded at the guy, then proceeded to light all the other ropes around them on fire, freeing their friends. It didn't make a difference, but it gave them some comfort that they'll wake up soon. They both turned back to Tanjiro as he woke up screaming and gasping for breath. He started to feel around his neck as if he was checking for anything wrong.

"It's alright, I'm alive," Tanjiro said to himself. 

"Welcome back, glad you got out too," Shoto told him. 

Tanjiro quickly turned around at the voice, surprised to see both his friend and Nezuko up and about. "Shoto! Nezuko! You okay?" Nezuko whined as she held her head while Shoto nodded at him in confirmation. Tanjiro smiled at their responses, relieved. "I'm so glad. But what about everyone else? And who are these people?"

"These people are demons, they wanted the demon behind all of this to give them good dreams for the rest of eternity," Shoto explained. "The rope that's burned off thanks to Nezuko allowed them to enter our dreams that were also created by the demon. They wanted to destroy our spiritual cores so we couldn't fight back and could easily be killed."