Chapter 10: Lesson With The Love Hashira

"You've been working hard the past month Shoto," Kyojuro said. "Though I've been noticing you eating dinner early and disappearing soon after. I can only assume you've been pushing your limits and training in the evening. What kind of training would lead you outside the Butterfly Estate?"

"Giyu didn't tell you?" Shoto asked.

"He hasn't mentioned anything to me. Why?" Kyojuro asked back.

"I thought that, since Flame Breathing training was going smoothly I could add Water Breathing on top of it. I went to Giyu to learn more, turns out I can't use Water Breathing at all. So he's been coaching me on the footwork of certain forms and see if I can put my own twist on it to create Ice Breathing," Shoto explained. 

"Interesting! What made you think of taking this route?" Kyojuro asked. 

"Well, I plan on using Flame Breathing and Ice Breathing interchangeably at some point, so learning them together is probably gonna avoid certain obstacles in the future," Shoto said. 

"What obstacles could you face that you're afraid of?" Kyojuro asked.

"Uneven skill levels, which makes it hard to use the two of them whenever I need to," Shoto said.

"I see, you have past experience with that, don't you?" Kyojuro asked.

"Yeah, let's say I had a rough relationship with fire for years, so I never worked with my flames until recently. I originally had much better control over my ice since I didn't have much resentment toward it, but I only started working on my fire this past year," Shoto said.

"I see, so your lack of control over your fire held you back for some time?" Kyojuro wondered.

"A lot, but I've moved on from my issues with that. Now I think I have the same control and understanding of both sides of my quirk," Shoto said.

"And with those experiences in mind, you decided it was best to learn the two techniques at the same time?" Kyojuro asked.

"Yeah, I did," Shoto confirmed.

"Well, how has it been turning out?" Kyojuro asked.

"Not as easy as learning Flame Breathing, but that's probably because I only have the base technique, not all the forms," Shoto answered.

"Hm, well what have you and Tomioka come up with so far?" Kyojuro asked.

"You want to see it, don't you?" Shoto asked back.

"If you wouldn't mind," Kyojuro said, flashing a wide smile at Shoto.

Shoto walked up to the middle of the outdoor training area of the Butterfly Estate with his two training swords in his hands. He got into a wide stance similar in footwork to Water Surface Slash and raised his right sword as if he was going to use the first form of Flame Breathing. He took in a deep breath, moving forward slightly and exhaling, calling out his new form as he slashed horizontally in front of him. "Ice Breathing, First Form:"

"Icy Wind."

The wind that came from the attack developed bits of ice inside it, hence the name. Anything and everything that got hit by the attack was covered in layers of ice and frost, making Kyojuro feel chills go up his spine.

"So that's your first form? Icy Wind?" Kyojuro asked.

"Yeah, it has the footwork of the first form of Water Breathing and the sword technique of the first form of Flame Breathing, so I think it fits," Shoto said.

"I agree! It's perfect!" Kyojuro said. "Do you have an idea for a second form in mind?"

"Yeah, it's basically an icy version of Water Wheel," Shoto said.