Chapter 13- Freedom from Pain

--Ines POV--

"Not only did you completely ruin the original dress I had made for you to wear to today's show, but you went ahead and took pictures with that actor, had an interview where you couldn't stop smiling, spoke words I never told you to speak when you won that award, and even changed the lyrics of the song you performed." He muttered under his breath as he walked.

"You really went out of you way to become someone new today. All to anger me." 

"...It's not someone new." He halted in his steps, turning to look at me with a look that told me to be careful with my next words, but since I started, I may as well finish.

"This is who I am, it's not a new person. I'm the same person I've been for the past hundreds of years, you just never got to see it because you made yourself an enemy. And it wasn't for you; Everything I did today, it was all for me."

"Oh, yeah?" His eyes twitched as he scoffed, the veins almost popping in anger. "Of all days a sudden investment meeting could take place, it had to happen on the day of the award show. If I were there then none of this would have happened." Yes, I'm aware. That's why Maxwell pulled some strings for him to be unable to come.

But I didn't say anything more, biting my words back, but my hand which he was holding had gone numb with how tight he was holding it, and without another word, he turned back into step, quietly raging at the situation which I was revelling in.

As we left the building, the night air embraced me, and I took a moment to enjoy it's calmness, but the moment didn't last long as the feint sound of screaming was heard approaching us as we headed to where the car was waiting.

And as we turned the corner, my eyes widened at the sight, my feet stopping in their steps as Malachi stopped with me, looking just as surprised, if not more. And after all that nonsense he spouted about me not having any fans, it was certainly nonsense now.

"Ines! Ines!" People shouted, fans, I presume as they formed a crowd, security pushing them back as they waited for me in the cold air of this night, calling my name with smiles lining their faces in a way that made me smile back just as brightly.

"Can I have an autograph!?" A teenage girl jumped in her spot, a pen and notepad in her hands as she begged me to go over to her. And how could I say no?

"...I'm going." I pulled out of his grip, running to the girl with a grin on my face, which seemed to surprise her as I came to a halt in front of her, Malachi shouting at me, but I ignored him as he scoffed, going to get into the car to wait for me, and I couldn't help but be grateful for that. Usually, he always pulls me away when someone asks for an autograph.

"Are you here for me?" I asked the cute girl, pointing at myself. Rapidly nodding her head, she handed me her notepad as I took the pen, scribbling my autograph down for her. 

"Can I get your name?" I politely asked.

"It's Layla." And I wrote the message down to her name. "...You're prettier in real life." Her compliment caught me off-guard as a blush stained my cheeks which I quickly fanned away.

"Thank you. You're very cute too. And, thank you for your support, I've always wanted to meet a fan." I spoke, giving her the notebook back as she smiled at me as if seeing me in a new light.

"Have you never... met a fan?" She curiously asked, raising a brow as the smile sadly slipped off my face, and I shrugged.

"I've never been allowed to."

"Why not-"

"-Ines! Can I get a picture!?" Another fan called, cutting her off, and I quickly snapped back to reality, the smile reappearing on my face when I realised where I was. It doesn't matter if I was never allowed to meet any fans before, all these people are here for me right now and I can talk to them now, so it was all fine.