Chapter 31- Mercy of the World

--Ines POV--

"What are you doing?" Malachi asked, watching as his brother approached him in the water, the thrashing waves slowing him down, but eventually, he caught up, a smile on his face.

"You saved me... It may be too late for me to save you, but I'm not the kind of person that would leave his big brother alone. I'll go with you, wherever you're going."

"I'm not lonely, go back. I don't want you here." Malachi lied.

"You're a good liar to everyone but me. I can see right through you." Maxwell laughed, nudging him on the side as if this were an everyday occasion.

"Why are you doing this? To prove a point?" Malachi sighed, running his fingers through his hair, damp with the salty Ocean water.

"I've lived every moment of my life with you by my side. You're my big brother, and truth is, I'll be lonely if you go. So, I'm going with you."

"I'm not going on holiday. I'm probably going to Hell."

"And I'm coming with you."

The two shared a look with one another, until eventually, tears pricked Malachi's heartless eyes, and he leaned into his younger brothers hold, hugging him tightly to his trembling body.

"I'm sorry- I did this. It's all my fault," He sobbed.

Maxwell smiled, hugging him back as he held his own tears at bay.

"You're not the only one that's hurt Ines, I've done some unforgivable things to her too; So, let's go through redemption together. No matter what happens, we'll have each other, that's something that can't ever change." He whispered.

"I'm sorry." Malachi guiltily spoke. "I may have saved you from death before, but now I've become the one that's caused it too."

"I'm here because I chose to be, and this is how I choose to leave this world; By my cool older brother's side." He laughed, not letting the smile leave his face even after he saw Malachi grace his own features with the same smile.

And the two held hands, walking into the Ocean until nothing was left of them. 

Tragic brothers, abused by the wrong in the world, were put to the mercy of the world, but in the end, they had nothing but each other. And that was enough for them.

There is good in bad, and there is bad in good. Perfection is an unachievable dream. But they had found peace after all the trial and error; People were hurt, but people were found. And the world remains the same. The moon rises and the sun sets, the Oceans waves hit the ground, and another day passes under the grace of the universe.

And I woke up to the white ceiling of the hospital room, the news channel on in the background where I faintly heard the reporter speaking about the death of Maxwell and Malachi Kingston, two brothers who committed suicide together when the world exposed them of their crimes.

All the events of the past few hours whirling through my mind seemed like nothing but a dream.

And I lay there in that bed, unmoving for what felt like hours. I wondered, was I mourning the death of my friend right now, or was I at peace? I couldn't tell.