Chapter 20- The Beginning of the End

--Malachi POV--

Pacing back and forth in my office, my eyes kept looking down at the ring on my pinkie finger, the crack seeming to grow larger every time I saw it, and with every time I saw it, my anger and fear would spike at the reality that I didn't want to believe.

The curse was breaking.

One way or another, somehow, the curse was breaking. And she was going to leave me without looking back even once.

What would I do if the curse broke? I put so much into it with the belief that it's an unbreakable curse, but clearly, I was wrong. How is it breaking? How could she reclaim something that can't be reclaimed?

With a tired sigh, I went to sit on my seat, looking at my computer screen where my brows furrowed at the sight of the trending searches.

Ines Agua Interview.

What interview? She's supposed to be at home, working on lyrics today. I said goodbye to her before I left, and Maxwell was watching over her to make sure she didn't try running away... Maxwell. I knew it. Groaning, my fist slammed down on the desk in my moment of rage.

"There's no one I can trust." I spat out, going to click on her name, preparing myself for what mess I was about to see, already thinking of ways to tidy it up.

But no amount of preparation could have readied me for what it was that I was about to see.

Lately, every time I tried to put her in her place, and every time I tried to teach her a lesson, someone, specifically Alaric Clemente, would swoop in like some sort of knight in shining armour and save her as if she needed saving. In fact, even in times when she didn't need saving, he'd take it upon himself to annoy the living daylights out of me. 

Helping her that first time by taking her into his penthouse where he knew I couldn't go, then taking her from our home as if she were getting tortured by me or something, and then randomly claiming that they were dating when I put the rumour about her and Isaac out. Who the hell does he think he is? He keeps getting in my way, again, and again, and again.

"You don't have a manager?" The interviewer asked.

"No, Malachi said that only celebrities of high standing had one-" Shit. 

Shit. Shit. Shit.

This can't be good. This isn't good.

Picking my phone up, I dialled my brother, and he picked up on one of the first rings as I let my rage slip through. He's lucky he's hiding behind a phone right now because brother or not, I would end up killing him in cold blood if he were in front of me right now.

"What the hell man!"

"...I'm assuming that you're watching the interview?" He spoke in a calm tone which only did more to fuel my anger.

"You, of all people should never have betrayed me! I thought you, at least, would always be on my side no matter what, you're supposed to be my brother! What the hell am I supposed to do now!... She's slipping past my fingers, and I'm about to lose it all because of you! You fucking piece of shit!" I screamed, gripping the phone in my hands so tight that it went numb.

"It's because I'm your brother that I'm doing this, I took everything you did to her at face value without knowing the proper details. But when I saw her in that cellar... Mal, that wasn't Human." He had the audacity to say that. 

"Just tell me, was it you? Did you arrange for all of this to happen? You went behind my back like a dirty rat and betrayed me!? You!?"

"...Yeah, it was me. I'm sorry, but I couldn't just let you ruin her. At least now the world will be on her side since you failed her."