Chapter 38- One Step at a Time

--Ines POV--

We returned home to Miami a day after what had been scheduled, and whatever happened at the shopping mall between Rick and his parents could only have been good since both his parents returned home with a smile, and, not to mention, there was no more shouting. Forgiveness no longer looked like a pipe dream.

Not only that, but he invited the family to our wedding. And if that's not a good sign then I don't know what is.

But somehow the next week flew by in a blur, and our fated wedding day is today.

I stood in our bedroom in front of the large mirror, grinning at my reflection as I finished getting ready, Sandra running in circles around me, gushing about things that I didn't care to hear, and even the cameraman that was snapping pictures of me was gobsmacked by her.

Our wedding was happening on the beach, having been beautifully decorated with seashells, pearls, and flowers, and Isaiah had volunteered to sing for us, a generous offer that I couldn't say no to, much to the displeasure of Alaric who wasn't upset for long since the man proved himself worthy with a song.

As for my family, Halcyon was, of course, attending even though he didn't know what a wedding was. And surprisingly, my older twin brothers and one of my sisters managed to endure through the pain of shifting so they too would be attending. Unfortunately, as my father was bound to the Ocean, he couldn't attend, but I promised to show him our wedding video.

And Alaric's whole family was coming too as well as some co-workers of both of ours, so what was once going to be a small, intimate wedding, ended up being a semi-intimate wedding, but I liked it just the way it was. Everything's perfect.

"Don't smile so much or your cheeks are going to start hurting, and you don't want any pictures of you frowning." Sandra warned as she fluffed out the tail of my veil.

I wore a white, off-the-shoulder, wedding dress which was mostly made of tulle, and was a bit sheer with a deep V-neck corset that showed off a little cleavage, and my favourite part was the intricate floral embroidery, but I loved how flowy it was. It was perfect for a beach wedding. As for my make-up, we went for something simple as I liked, and my hair was done half-up with a few pearls encrusted into it, my veil pinned under as it flowed along with my dress, and I wore a pearl necklace with matching earrings that Rick bought me from when we were in Spain.

The theme for the wedding was white and blue, so my bridesmaids, Sandra, and my sister, Marin, both wore baby blue dresses, and even my bouquet had blue flowers scattered in it.

"Where's Marin?" I asked, noticing the absence of my older sister.

"Right here." She answered on cue, walking into the room with a plateful of desserts, an excited grin on her face. Marin was my oldest sister, she was the second oldest sibling in the family, but she, like most mermaids, didn't want anything to do with the Human world so she rarely came up here, but unlike the rest of my family, she's visited the Human world before but didn't like it.

"Marin, are you already eating?"

"Am I not supposed to?" She blinked, macaron half-bitten into.

"Well, I don't mind... But, well... Eh- I think it'll be all right," I shrugged, not dwelling on it as she smiled, putting her plate of desserts down before coming to hug me.

"You look beautiful, sister."

"Thank you." I grinned, excited.

"Weddings are so exciting, aren't they? I'm glad I'm doing one." It cost a lot of money though, but thankfully that wasn't an issue. Organising was stressful but fun nonetheless, it makes it all worth it as I stand here right now.