Chapter 21- People We Lost

--Ines POV--

I had no idea what Maxwell was planning when he arranged this interview for me, but it quickly became obvious as I truthfully answered all the questions the interviewer had for me. And it wasn't just the audience that were surprised, but me too.

Things I thought were normal ended up not being normal, and not to mention the fact that Malachi had gone around telling the world that I was an orphan, the audacity of that man never fails to enrage me. I was going through everything for the sole reason to return to my said family, but he'd killed them all off in his story.

The cameras all quickly cut off as Lousie had instructed them to do, and the audience members were all filled in a pin-drop silence as though they were immobile statues with Lousie holding my hands in hers, worry masking her face.

Did I go too far in acting naive?

I admit, not everything was unexpected. I played naive at certain times and honest in others, like the fact that I didn't own a phone, I already knew that wasn't normal. But nonetheless, I didn't think I overacted to the point where they would abruptly end the interview.

"I'm sorry, did I do something wrong?" I apologetically spoke, the guilt creeping up my heart at having taken advantage of these people.

"No, no, darling. Not at all, I just don't think it's a promising idea to continue with the live show. That man has taken advantage of you; He had the world in his grip, making us all believe that you're some sort of good-for-nothing celebrity when in reality you're just an innocent girl."

"...I don't mind, continuing the interview, I mean." Since we started, we might as well continue till the end. Malachi's already going to be angry, so why not just take advantage of it?

"What? Why?" She let her surprise slip.

"Well, wouldn't it cause trouble for you if you suddenly end it like that?" I produced a quick excuse on the spot, half lying, and half speaking the truth.

"Yes, I guess it will. But you shouldn't worry about that, is it not uncomfortable talking about that man and what he's done to you?" I cocked my head to the side, thinking about the answer I should give to that question.

"I'm okay with it." I smiled, nodding as if to further certify my words.

"Besides, I've worked hard for the live performance, and if you find the topic of Malachi uncomfortable then we could talk about something else. Right?" She spent some time thinking it over, and speaking to some crew members that worked here, and while she did that, the audience could be heard whispering amongst each other, signalling that they were growing bored of the wait.

Until eventually, Louise gave in with a deep sigh.

"All right, we'll continue with the interview. I apologise for the wait everyone!" Exclaiming, she slipped on a professional smile as she sat up straight, and with the audience cheering, everyone got back into their positions as the camera's began rolling once again.

"We are back. Apologies for that dramatic cut-off, but we've decided to continue with the interview in a different direction," She spoke to the cameras, skimming over the question cards in her hands as she turned to look at me.

"We won't be taking any questions related to the first half of the interview, that is up to Ines. While it may be difficult to do so for the remainder of this interview, I'd appreciate it if all the audience members, and those of you watching from home, will respect that decision. Thank you, and without further ado..."

And so, we were able to speak for the remainder of the interview without stirring up any more drama. She asked me questions related to my music, future life plans, and now, my love life, which barely existed.