Chapter 36- Family Dinners

--Ines POV--

"Can someone pass the potatoes?"

"Mama, I want more water."

"The food's delicious as always, Mariana."

The dinner table was filled with polite conversation, the family were chatting and laughing, complimenting each other, but there was a dark cloud hovering in the atmosphere which no one was brave enough to prod. And that cloud resonated from none other than Alaric.

He sat beside me silently eating his food, not making any comments, and looking like he was trying to hurry up and empty his plate so that he could get out of here.

And with every second that passed us by, my curiosity couldn't help but grow towards the root of this drama; What happened in this family for him to be this angry?

"How are you enjoying the food, Miss Agua?" I was snapped out of my reverie when a deep voice belonging to his father called out to me, and I shot my head away from Rick to look at the older version of him, having to take a moment to think about what he said before replying.

"Oh, it's delicious. Thank you for having me here, and please, call me Ines." His stoic face relaxed into a calming smile that reminded me of Rick's, a smile I was fast beginning to miss since we came to Alicante.

"You have a lovely name, did your parents decide on it?" It was obvious what he was doing, and I appreciated it. Making conversation with me in hopes of getting through to Alaric, if only it works though.

"I believe so, my full name is Ines Silvia Agua. Although Silvia was my mother's name, my father gave it me when mama passed away a number of years ago." I nodded.

"I'm so sorry to hear that... You've got the rest of your family though, don't you?" Rick's mother hopped onto the conversation, looking empathetic on my behalf.

"Yes, I'm gifted with a big family; Five sisters and three older brothers, although I'm the youngest out of everyone so they're all quite protective." I chuckled, feeling myself beginning to relax more as I talked. I don't know what these people did to make Rick hate them, but whatever redemption they've gone through seems to have worked if they're this nice now.

"That's lovely to hear, Tiago and I tried for a big family but after having Alaric we weren't able to conceive anymore but still, we're happy now, and everyone living under this roof is family." She spoke sadly but not at the fact that she couldn't have any more children, it was rather more towards how Alaric is the only one from this family not living under the same roof.

Also, I'm guessing that Tiago is the name of Alaric's father. I was looking for an opportunity to ask but I thought I lost it, thankfully not though.

"Do you want a big family, Ines?" She asked.

I had to ponder on the question for a moment. "Maybe not as big as the family that I grew up in, but I do want enough children so that none of them will be lonely." I eventually answered.

"...Right?" I shifted to look at Alaric who seemed to have fallen into a daze after hearing my words, but catching my gaze, his eyes softened, lips curving up into a smile as he nodded.

"I'll be happy with whatever makes you happy." And my smile widened.

"We wanted to have at least two children so that Ric- I mean, Alaric, wouldn't be lonely, but I feel guilty every day for not even being able to give him that," Tiago placed a reassuring hand on his wife's shoulders as she smiled sadly, but the moment didn't last long when their son, my lover, found the need to ruin it after all this time.