Chapter 5 ~ Careless

TW: Swearing, mention of killing people

Techno's POV:

Why would the Bow Clan be here? In this stupid school? Seems like they'd have better things to do then learn, just like I do but Dad insists being here is good for me. I sigh dramatically because I know no one can hear me in these busy halls. Everyone is frantically trying to find their friends to get a good spot in the lunch line.

Me on the other hand, I'd rather not eat lunch with anyone but my 'friends' insist I eat with them. I've sat in the library every day of freshman year and now that it's the first day of sophomore year it's not going to change anything. There are many libraries on campus but only one of them lets us eat there because the librarian doesn't care how loud we are. At least it's the smallest library, therefore the less people to potentially bother me.

"Hey Ms.Gemini," I greet the young orange haired librarian. Her head turns towards me and immediately erupts into a smile when she realizes it's me.

"Techno! My favorite student! How was your summer?" She rushes over and brings me into a warm hug. I smile slightly and hug her back, "And haven't I told you to just call me Gem?"

I don't recall ever having a mother and I've always been drawn to the instant happiness that Ms.Gem brings me, "Alright Ms.Gem. And my summer was boring as always, you know how uninterested my dad is in my life."

She lets out a sigh, "To bad. But at least you can chill here with me now! You're the first one here, where's your other friends?" 

I chuckle at her happiness, "Who knows, they'll come here if they really want to talk to me."

Gem gives me a small frown and a disappointed look, but I don't bother with it and turn to the stacks. I start by running down the small spaces in between the stacks and touching all the books I possibly can. I giggle as I remember why I love books so much. They're just so.....so magical.

I stop to catch my breath and realize I've made it to the history section. I survey the spines to find a certain book in particular. My eyes light up when I see 'The Art of War', I quickly snatch it off the shelf and flip through a couple pages. I make my way back to the front where the seating is and I notice that Gem is frantically looking around for something.

I furrow my eyebrows, "Everything okay?"

Ms.Gem gets startled but relaxes when we make eye contact, "Not particularly. I can't find my lunch! I'm starving!!"

"I can go get you one if you want, the line shouldn't be to long anymore," I offer. She looks at me with a grateful expression,

"That would be lovely."

I nod and rush through the doors towards the nearest cafeteria. I hate being out here during lunch, reminds me of my lonely nature. I know it's self-imposed but I have to be distant. Dad tells me that having friends just means that you'll be betrayed later. But so far, my friends haven't done anything bad to me, mostly me being mean to them.

I take a deep breath and round the corner into the cafeteria. I make a beeline towards the lunch line that luckily isn't that long. I try my best to ignore everyone and the whispers. People probably aren't talking about me but it makes me self conscious anyway.

When I got to the front I noticed that Gem's favorite sandwich, grilled cheese, was being offered so I quickly snatched the last one, relieved I would be able to surprise her with something yummy. I went down the food line and put whatever else looked good onto the plate. At the end I paid for the food and planned to speed walk back to the library. But the second I turned around and started walking I collided with someone, causing me to fall and drop all the food onto the floor.