Chapter 18 ~ Gone

TW: none

Dream's POV:

I brace myself for yelling when I walk up the stairs to my 'house', but the atmosphere is oddly silent. I would've expected Amanda to be waiting for me outside to get my report the second I'm done with a mission. Especially one as important as this because she really was in love with that jewel. I let out a sigh when I realize I won't even be able to tell her who took it as I didn't get a good enough look. Just dark ruby eyes that seemed oddly familiar.

I weaved my way through the hallways of my house towards Amanda's office. Maybe she just forgot that I would be back early cause the heist wasn't supposed to take a long time. Just as I'm about to approach her door I hear voices coming from inside. They're muffled but one is clearly male, I can't help but worry for Amanda. She may be horrible to me but I still care for her.... a little bit.

I stand outside for a couple seconds before the door abruptly opens and I flinch back in surprise. It was a middle-aged man with shiny red eyes that paled in comparison to Techno's beautiful ruby eyes and what looked to be ram horns on both sides of his head. I narrowed my eyes at them, maybe they were for decoration? They're a bit weird because no way that's natural.

"Pleasure doing business with you," Amanda gave a smile. The man broke eye contact with my and turned back to her.

"Always a pleasure. I'll get on it right away," He turned and walked down the hall with a couple of our guards following behind him to make sure he actually left.

I turned my attention to Amanda and raised an eyebrow, "Who is that?"

She gave me a deadly glare, "Someone who can do your job much better."

"What does that mean?"

"You haven't made progress on this Blade clan heir mission so I'm bringing in some extra help," Amanda smirked at me, "I assume you didn't get the jewel?"

"No ma'am," I hung my head in shame. I could never get over the overwhelming disappointment that washed over me anytime I failed a mission. It was like I had to please her no matter what.

She waved it off, "That's fine. I heard from my sources that the Blade's stole it first, so I know we probably won't be getting the jewel anytime soon."

My jaw drops slightly, that small figure was part of the Blade Clan? Was that person the son that I was supposed to be finding and killing? I shook my head, I can't believe I let them get away. This I will definitely not be telling Amanda.

"So basically, since you've been to slow with the Blade heir that guy's a paid tracker so hopefully he has the right connections to find this guy," She laughed evilly, "Then maybe we can torture the heir for information then kill him!"

My mind reeled in horror that they were going to torture someone who was my age. I just pushed the guilt to the back of my mind and continued to think of ways to track down the heir at school.

~+~

Those ruby eyes from that night still plagued my mind. I can't believe that I was face to face with the very person I was supposed to be killing and didn't take the opportunity to capture him. I may have some issues with torture, but I have to do what needs to be done. The clan needs my help to capture the heir and I've been distracted with Techno this whole time.