Chapter 12 ~ Swings

TW: Suicidal thoughts

Techno's POV:

I'm very familiar with the  neighborhood around my house, it's expected of me, but all I want to do is get lost. I can't even do that. I stumble through some bushes that separate a street from my favorite park and also the only park in this area since no one really uses these places anymore.  

So many questions rush through my head, am I not enough? Am I really that horrible? Do I need to train harder for him to love me? To notice me?

My thoughts get cut off when I bump into a pair of swing sets. I smile softly, one of the only memories I have of my biological mom is her pushing me on a swing. The memory brings up additional tears which I wipe away quickly, if I start crying now I fear I may never stop. After so many years of it all bottled up I don't think I'm ready to face my emotions yet, not alone, not ever. As I sit down on the swing set I hear the low creaking of the steel frame as it supports my weight. I push slowly back to get the swing started and the chains squeak like they haven't been used in a long time, it almost sounds like someone's crying.....probably not.

I don't gain momentum and I let myself slowly swing back and forward, it feels like someone is cuddling me and singing me a lullaby. I smile at the thought, though this small amount of happiness feels forbidden in my current state. All of a sudden I feel like throwing up as my stomach churns in pain as I realize I just ran away from the closet person to family I have. I look up to the sky and blink away my tears, he probably won't take me back after that stunt I pulled. It doesn't matter that he treats me horribly, I just need someone. Anyone. Anything to anchor myself to.

I hear a sound to my left that I recognize as footsteps and I flinch back so violently that I almost fall off the swing. A figure in a grey hoodie falls through the bushes and I couldn't be bothered to defend myself, I wouldn't be opposed to dying right now. The figure takes off their hood and I see familiar dirty blond hair, he turns around and his emerald eyes meet mine. It's.....Dream?!

I recoil a bit in shock, "Dr-Clay?" I catch myself, I almost said his real name. That would've been the icing on the cake of this horrible day if that happened, "What are you doing here?"

"Uhhh," He scratches the back of his head nervously and I raise an eyebrow at the action but he doesn't notice, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you."

I scrunch my eyebrows and try to read his face to tell if he's actually sorry but it's to dark to tell so I believe him.

"It's fine, just a bad day, that's all. You know how it is," I chuckle anxiously. Why is he even here? Does he know about me? I'm not in the right state to be fully aware of what's going on, so hopefully that's not the case.

"Yeah, I do. Doooooo you mind if I sit next to you?" Dream asks. I see a flash a white and I know he's smiling which makes me break out into a grin.

"Of course, you didn't have to ask," I let out a real laugh this time. It feels good. Dream makes his way over to me and sits down on the swing next to me while looking up into the sky. I study his side profile and focus on each and every freckle on his face, even if they're very faint. It's times like this where I doubt he's part of the Bow Clan, how can someone so sweet work for something so horrible? As I study his face more I realize there's a red mark on his face, under closer inspection I identify a hand mark.

I gasp, "Clay! Are you okay?"

I reach out unconsciously and brush my hand across his cheek to which he flinches back and I mumble a quick sorry. Dream turns to me completely, "It's alright, I'm fine."

I give him my best are-you-serious face and he sighs in defeat, "Okay okay. I'm not fine, just an argument with my mom. Nothing to important." He shrugs it off, "How about you? I don't see why any sane person would be out here at this time."

"Well you should know by now, I'm not very sane," I give him a small smile which he returns and I swear my heart skipped a beat, is that even possible? "How about this, I tell you what happened to me and you be honest about what happened to you?"

"Fine."

I push back on the swing and continue to rock slowly back and forth, "My dad is important to me, he's not my real dad but that doesn't matter. He took me in when no one else would and that's got to mean something right?..... God, I don't even know why I'm telling you this," Tears roll down my cheeks and I suddenly feel a warm presence on my hand. I look over to see Dream placed his over mine on the chain of the swing. My cheeks turn pink and I turn away from his piercing gaze quickly.

"You don't have to tell me more if you don't want to," Dream gives me a reassuring smile.

"I know but I want to tell you," I close my eyes and take a deep breath to collect myself, "He got a girlfriend at some point that I didn't know about and he introduced her to me as his fiancé. Like what am I supposed to say to that!? And there's a daughter who is supposed to be my sister. It's all to m-much, I deserve an explanation r-right? He c-can't just do that.....can he?" I stop talking as I descend into sobs, I just want to feel loved. I hear the swing creak and I look up to see Dream standing right in front of me. He cups my face with both hands and wipes off some tears, my face heats up and I hope he doesn't notice the effect he has on me. I don't even understand it myself.

"Hey," He gives me a smile that could melt all my worries away, "You deserve an explanation, something like introducing new members to a family can be overwhelming. You should talk you him, can you do for me?"

I nod slowly and I feel the cold air hit my face again as Dream pulls his hands away from my face. I miss his touch the second he takes a step back, and against my better judgement, I stand up and rush to hug him. I hear Dream let out a noise of surprise and I start regretting my decisions but those worries are replaced by his arms wrapping around my much smaller body. It's like we were meant to be hugging, in this small park, at this exact time. A smile finds it's way to my face and I snuggle deeper into his hoodie, hoping that he doesn't find me creepy. It's cold!

I almost forgot! "You said you would tell me what happened to you!" I wanted to help him the way he helped me. I couldn't explain it but I wanted him to be happy. Like how he made me happy.

"Heh, yeah I guess," Dream lets go of me and runs his hand through his hair, "I got slapped by my mom. But it's not a big deal, it's not the worst she's done."

My eyes widen. My dad probably hates me but he's never directly hit me, I think I would die inside if he did that. I wouldn't care if he sent others to hurt me, if it came from him it would hurt more. So I think Dream's lying, "It's kinda is a big deal. She shouldn't do that to you, that crosses a line." I lightly scold.

He chuckles a bit, "It's funny how I'm having a conversation with you about morals considering what I......" He trails off and looks off into the distance as if he's forgot about this conversation all together. I raise an eyebrow at the comment because I agree, it's a bit ironic what we're talking about. Dream must've stopped the sentence when he realized he talking to a 'normal non gang' person.

I just smile in response, "Let's just hug, I'm cold!"

Dream's eyes snap to meet mine and he gives me a bright smile that stops my heart momentarily and puts his arms out, inviting me to hug him.

And that's what I do

-----------------------------------

Thank you so much for reading!!! I decided to put 2 chapters together so here it is! I hope you don't mind the wait, thanksgiving was a bit crazy, but have a great day/night! 

Alex <3

Word Count: 1,496