10. Is But a Dream Within a Dream

Gabbie Hanna- Out Loud

Hope's POV

The stiff cold air pierced my face and I wrapped my black jacket tighter around me. It was dark, and only years of walking down this street to tell me where I was. I squinted in the dark, annoyed that the streetlight was busted. A faint light was up ahead from the next one.

I turned to look at my cousin but she seemed unfazed by the cold. Even in winter she manages to look stunning without making her look like she was taking a trip to Antarctica.

"Remind me why I let you drag me to that horrible movie again," I whined and not for the first time. Isabelle had convinced me to see this horrible chick flick that had just released in theaters. I had slept during most of the part and when she finally noticed, near the ending, she had woken me hastily, claiming that I was missing all of it.

"Because it's an amazing movie! You just have horrible tastes."

I rolled my eyes. "I can say the same for you." I wrapped my arms around my body in a failed attempt to keep warm. The jacket wasn't helping much. "It's too cold. Let's take a shortcut," I said. Isabelle nodded in agreement.

We cut through an alley. It was all dirt and shadows. The smell of alcohol empowered the pavement, and it was all I can do not to gag. We ran through it, taking a deep breath before we passed through.

A group of guys were huddled around an old apartment's stairs. As we exited out the alley, they turned to look at us. One of them whispered something to his friends and strolled toward us. There's a tattoo of a lion and fangs longer than it's face on his arm. That's when I realized he wasn't even wearing a jacket. White people.

"Hey. Where you off to? Come hang out with us." He was looking at Isabelle when he said it and even though I was sure this was a dangerous situation, I felt disappointed that he wasn't talking to me. He was cute, after all.

Isabelle didn't look flattered.

She glares at him. "No thanks."

"Come on. It's all good, Ma." He moved closer to her. He smelled like alcohol, the smell was strong and nauseating. She stepped back but he moved closer to her, a grin marking his face. He grabbed her hand, but she recoiled. His hands squeezed her wrist as she tried to pull it back and she gasped.

Fear imprisoned my body, forcing me to watch. Isabelle, however, raised her chin, defiance in her eyes. I've always admired her fearlessness and bravery. Even though I wasn't the one in immediate danger, I couldn't move or speak.

When she kicked him in the groin, he released his grip and stumbled, clutching himself.

"Fuck!" His friends laughed. He turned to look at them before he turned back and advanced toward us. Something awakened inside me then, and with my heart hammering in my chest, I grabbed her hand and ran.

But the guy was too fast. He grabbed both of us by the back of our jackets. "Yo, chill," One of his friends yelled.

"Shut the fuck up!" He snarled before he turned to us. "Where you think you going, huh? You better come with us if you know what's good for you."

"Fuck off!" Isabelle yelled, squirming against his grip. He barely seemed to notice.

"The fuck you said to me?"

She stomped on his feet and he finally let go, anger masking his face. "Go to hell," She spat. "I'd rather die."

"Oh yeah? You sure about that?" He snarled. He pulled a black metal object and pointed it at her. A gun. I screamed and started retreating my steps. Her eyes widened but she remained in place.