30. Dead to Me

Damien's POV

I wake up to the smell of hand sanitizers. I begrudgingly open my eyes, just to be blinded by light. I shut them back, letting my eyes adjust before I open them again. I look around and panic.

I'm in a hospital.

My mind reels back to the events that happened a few hours ago. It's then that I realize my right eye is completely shut. The pain is excruciating and I wince, but even that hurts.

I page a nurse and it takes 5 fucking minutes before a young blonde walks in. She seems flustered as I ask her what the hell happened. I must've passed out. Of course I passed out. I knew the questions I was asking but I asked them anyway.

"You lost a lot of blood," She concludes. "You've been out for 14 hours. I'll -"

"What?" I ask incredulously. "How- what happened to my friend? Is he alive? He's awake?"

"Sir, I'm going to need you to calm down. Your heart rate is accelerating."

The heart monitor is beeping fast and I yank the wires connected to my body until it stops.

She sighs in exasperation. "Sir-"

"Where's my friend?" I urge, panick seizing my throat and any further speech.

I struggle to get up, but she grabs my arm and pulls me back down. I glare at her, but she glares right back. I almost call her out on her bullshit because I can see the redness creeping up her neck and cheeks, the movement of her Adam's apple as she swallows. She isn't as tough as she's acting.

"Um, I'm sorry but you can't do that. We need to track your heart rate to make sure-"

"I'm alive, as you can see. Just find my friend. His name is Zachary Lewinski. I know, right? His dad must've been drunk... or his mom. She was just in labor when she named it, but she definitely could've-"

"Yes. I will try to find your friend. How about we put these back? What is your full name?"

I nod and inform her. She sets to work reattaching the wires to my arm, and peering up at me for a little too long.

"What?"

"You look familiar."

"We've never met," I assure her.

Her ears turn red before she clears her throats and straighten up. "We need to call your parents."

"They're dead." Dead to me.

She flinches. "Oh."

I try to sit up but the pain becomes unbearable. I collapse back on the bed. "You need to stop," She orders. "You'll be fine as long as you stay here. Don't touch anything, I'll be back." She leaves the room and returns shortly after.

"Did you find him?"

She nods. "Yes, I did. He's in a coma but he's expected to wake up soon. His condition could've been worse." Dread and bile fills my stomach. "You two lost a lot of blood. You want to tell me what happened?"

"It was nothing," I inform the nosy ass nurse.

She raises an eyebrow. "Nothing? You both were found in an alleyway bleeding to death. You two are lucky you were nearby a hospital or-"

"I said it's nothing."

"Anyways, your phone is dead. I charged it up but I can't get in to call anyone. We also notified the police so they'll be here shortly to question you. If you can't tell me anything, then you can tell them." Shit. Shit. Shit.