5. State Dinner

Damien's POV

"Hey sexy," A brunette girl says, tripping her way over to me. She reaches her hand towards my face but she suddenly yelps and falls to the ground. I look up to see that Jane is behind her giving her a dirty look. She looks up at me and a smile takes over her face.

"Here you go." She hands me a cup of liquor but before I can take a sip, she drags my other hand out of the kitchen and into the living room. The party is in full swing with the music too loud, people playing strip beer pong in the center of the room, and others making out in dark corners.

"You playing?" Carlos asks and they all turn to me and Jane. We nod and approach the table. I set my cup and Carlos labels it, 'Shirt'. We begin to play and it doesn't take long for Jane to pull her shirt off, showing off her large breasts hidden underneath her bra. Hope wouldn't approve of this, I think.

Fuck. I forgot about her for a second. But it doesn't matter because we're not even dating. But you went on a date with her, my snarky subconscious reminds me. If I were to tell Jane or Carlos they would've never believed me. I don't believe it myself. But deep down, I know Hope isn't like these girls here. She isn't like Jane. In her mind, I'm her boyfriend and I shouldn't be doing this but I don't know what to do about that.

Carlos picks up the pong. It bounces into the cup and Carlos smirks at Juanita and drinks the cup before pulling off his shirt. Juanita rolls her eyes and pretends not to be impressed. After it's Jane's turn- I swear she's missing on purpose- she starts to remove her shorts. I grab her arm.

"Don't," I say and pull of my shirt instead. Carlos hollers while Jane grins at me. She traces her hand down the planes of my stomach.

"You just want me for yourself, huh?" She pulls my neck down to her face. She smells like strawberries, her favorite scent. Her lips inches closer to mine and I mentally slap myself when I turn myself away.

"I'm out of here," I say, surprising everyone including myself. I don't know why, but the thought of Hope being angry with me is enough to want to leave. Is it weird that I want to be with her? It definitely is. But I don't care.

"Why?" Jane says, clearly offended.

"None of your business," I snap. I put my shirt back on.

"Hey, we were just getting started." Carlos protests.

"Sorry man. Gotta go." I walk out of Carlos's apartment. I'll tell them another time.

Hope's POV

"What do you think?" I hear her ask. I open my eyes and lightly gasp. The makeup artist has outdone herself today. I lean forward in the mirror admiring the maroon/beige cut crease she drew on my eye. The blush is noticeable but minimal, contrasting the blinding highlight. I note how the matte lipstick makes my lips look fuller than it actually is. My hair had been styled in loose waves, making me look a bit older.

I smile at her through the mirror. "It's perfect." She smiles back at me and sprays setting spray on my face before rushing me out of the Dressing Room. I'm greeted by another stylist when I enter my room. She has already placed my dress on my bed with jewelry and heels to pair with.

"Thank you," I say pointedly after she gives me instructions. She is still standing there, smiling expectantly at me. I clear my throat.

"Is there anything else?" I ask. She shakes her head. "I can dress myself, thanks." It is then that she gets the hint and finally leaves. I can't help but admire the beautiful dress. It's more like a gown, even.

The stylist had described it as a nude "strapless faille silk ball gown" designed by Vera Wang. I run my hand down the soft texture and admire the tiny details running down the length. My ankle heels are a soft plum color to match with my makeup, although it's hidden by the length of the dress.