29. Wolves

One Direction- Wolves

Damien's POV

My phone vibrates again, disturbing my sleep. I roll over, expecting Hope to be beside me. It takes a few seconds to realize I'm all alone again in my house.

I roll my eyes and reach for the phone on my dresser.

"What?" I snap.

"What the fuck? I've been trying to call you for the past half hour!" Zach? Why the hell is he calling me?

I yawn. "Oops, the phone was too far. What the fuck you want?"

"I'm hiding. I need you to come get me."

"Hell no. I don't care what it is. You got a car of your own and I was sleeping. And why're you even hiding?"

"They fucked up my car! This is all your fault! I sent you my location. Come. Get. Me." His voice sounds panicked and scared in a way I've never heard. My blood turns to ice.

I sit up quickly and throw the blankets from over me, no longer feeling its warmth. "What the hell is going on?" Dread fills my stomach as a disturbing theory comes to mind.

"It's Prince's bitches. They're after me. I really need you to find me before they do or I'm dead."

Fuck. I knew it. I hate being right sometimes. "I'm coming, okay? Be careful."

I hear distant shouts through the phone. "Hurry!" The line cuts.

"Shit. Shit. Shit."

I grab my car keys and run to my car. I am slightly above the speed limit but I don't care at the moment. If Prince and the gang get ahold of him, he might die tonight. Anxiety and fear runs through my bones and I step on the gas a little harder.

***

I track his phone location to an intersection, but he isn't there. I'm afraid to call him just in case they're near him. It might even be too late.

Get a grip. Don't think like that, I tell myself. I clench the steering wheel tighter to stop my hands from shaking.

I pull my hoodie down and step out of the car, walking with caution and scanning the street for any sign of him.

It must've been 10 minutes, before I see his bracelet on the ground. I swallow and pick it up. Zach's bracelet was a "manly gift from the best ex in the world." It was silver at the ends and brown leather in between. Hanging from it was a crescent moon.

I picked it up and placed it in my pocket. I'm hoping he dropped it on purpose to show me that I'm close.

But this isn't the movies.

But maybe it was damn close, because I hear laughing at the end of the block. I hear the grunt of pain and with dread weighing me down, I run blindly down the block.

Zach is on the floor inside an alleyway, blood illuminating in the streetlight above. His face is swollen and wet with blood.

Adrenaline and fear kicks in and without thinking, I run and jump on the guy on top of him and start choking him from behind.