12. Will You, Though?

Miley Cyrus- Adore You

Sabrina Carpenter- Why

A (REALLYYYY) sexy picture of Damien above. Y'all. Ain't. Ready!! *dies from fangirling*

Hope's POV

The sound of gunshot ringing loud in my ears wakes me up in cold sweat. I close my eyes but open them when the images start playing. I clutch the sheets and try to regain my breath.

Without thinking, I grab my phone.

Damien's POV

The sound of my phone ringing startles me out of sleep. I grit my teeth in annoyance. I always forget to silence it.

"What?" I snap.

I only hear ragged breathing on the end. I frown. "Zach if this is a-"

"It's Hope." I quickly sit up in bed, perplexed.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, never mind. I wasn't thinking. Sorry to bother you."

"Wait! What's going on?" The other end is silent. "Hope. It's okay. Tell me." I say forcefully.

"I just... had a bad dream."

"You want to talk about it?" I bite back a smile, ignoring my heart hammering in my chest. I couldn't help but be touched that I'm the one she called.

"No." Her voice is between a cry and a whisper.

"Okay." I frown. "You want me to talk?"

"I don't know..." I decide not to. We stay silent for a while. As soon as I start to think she fell back asleep, she whispers, "Thank you."

"For what?"

"I don't know."

"You're not very bright, are you?"

I hear a short laugh. "I can say the same about you."

"I was wondering when you'd use my college dropout status against me."

"I'm not! And technically you're not a dropout if you never attended." Her voice starts to have a bit of clarity. I sigh in relief. I hate the way she sounded earlier.

"Whatever." We're silent again and I decide to break it. "I miss you." I don't know why I say it, but it's true.

"You're lying. You're just trying to make me feel better."

"You're right. Is it working?"

I can hear the smile in her voice. "Maybe."

"When are you coming back to me?"

She laughs and I can't help but smile at how easily I can make her happy. "You're so cheesy. I'm coming back tomorrow."

"Isn't your birthday the end of the week?" I fling the sheets from over me and press the speakerphone as I make my way to the kitchen.

"How'd you know that?"

"You might've accidentally said it."

"Hmm. I can't believe I'm turning twenty. I'm catching up to you."

"You wish. I'll be 22 by the end of the year. But you can try." I can imagine her rolling her eyes.

"I don't want anything, by the way."

"That's what every girl says," I comment as I brew myself a cup of coffee. I slept late and only had two hours of sleep. No way am I sleeping on this conversation.