36. The Oval Office

A/N: I picture Sasha Waldman ^^ (introduced in this chapter) as Rosario Dawson, who plays JR in Jane the Virgin. The pic above, but in a business suit.

Joseph Henry Madison's POV

"Veto the bill," Mark Nolan orders.

I sigh and wait for his monologue, an acknowledgment that I won't respond. "All I'm saying is that you spend more money on a biennial budget per-capita than an annual budget process. You're thinking it gives Congress time to focus on oversight, but trust me, that's not the reason for this budget mess. It's all in the favor of their interest. They're addressing problems by creating new ones, and you're falling for their bullshit. Not again, sir, you're gonna veto the proposal and make them stick to annual whether or not they like it, because that's what the president says."

I lean back on the couch, regarding my mentor and best friend, sporting a crisp blue tuxedo and gray-flecked beard. "That's what you say."

"Same difference," He quips, undeterred.

"Fine. You're right. Make the call. What about the foreign ops proposal?"

Mark shakes his head. "It's not good enough, it's not impressive like the last one you did. I suggest you forget about it and propose a stronger one."

I raise an eyebrow. "Are you suggesting or you're telling me?"

"I'm telling you, sir," He informs.

On the campaign trail before the Primaries, I asked him to be my Chief of Staff and he told me, "Well I'm going to tell you how I'm going to do this job. Chief of Staff is essentially your babysitter. You're all I have to show for my years here. Like a science fair project. So there's gonna be a lot of things you don't want to hear but I'm going to be the one to tell them." Mark certainly kept his word; making sure I pronounced foreign names and locations correctly in my speech, choosing whether or not to risk my men in saving a hostage or 10, whether or not it was a good idea to negotiate, and most of the time, making me look like I knew exactly what I was doing when half of the time I felt like I was chasing my own tail.

Sooner or later, every president faces decisions in which the right choice is bad politics, at least in the short term. If the stakes are high, you have to do what you think is right and hope the political tide will turn, even if you leave behind enemies in the wake. It's the job you promised to do.

"By the way," He continues now. "You're giving a speech today about the reporter's death in Dubai. And tell Barry Stone he's doing a horrible job with the sanctions, I'd fire him if I were you. You're gonna congratulate Willmore on his promotion, but not now or he'll know just how much you need him. That, or he'll put two and two together and realize you were behind that promotion and not because his boss actually likes him. I'd say to give it about 6 hours and let him know he has your support and you'll back his play."

Since the time I've woken up a few hours ago, I've made 67 decisions so far. It looks like I'll have to make another one. "Anything else?"

"Not in the next few hours," He says, rising up from his seat on the opposite side and heading towards the door. "I'll see you then."

I haven't slept but a handful of hours over the last week, but with two cups of green tea and a good workout, I'm eager to get things done. After some heavy work, the clock strikes 8:00. I pick up the phone. "Pristin, get me a meeting with Stokes in an hour."

As soon as I say it, Mark Nolan appears at the door. His face impels me to put the phone back to my ear. "Matter of fact. Push it to the evening," I hang up. "Tell me something good," I say, hopelessly.

He walks further in and sighs. "The police are looking for Celestina Montgomery."