33. Relapse

Billie Eilish, Khalid- lovely (is it me or does her high notes sound just like melanie martinez??)

5 Seconds of Summer - Amnesia

Melanie Martinez- Sippy Cup

A/N: Sorry for the late update. The service wasn't working yesterday (turns out I just needed to restart my phone lol)
If you do picture covers, please DM me!!

Hope's POV

Being without Damien is much worse than I expected it to be.

I can't sleep. I can't eat. And the worst part of it all, is that I have to go to school and pretend like nothing happened. Like everything is okay in the world.

My dad, once again, warned me about being careful and not trying anything reckless again.

The agents had told him that I followed a guy with the same tattoo as Isabelle's killer, Elijah Johnson. That when I followed him and met him, that's when I realized that the tattoo was different. Things had gone south and I ran out of there, as him and his friends started chasing me. At least they thought that's what happened.

The nondescript armored car rolls to a stop in front of the school. Sean opens the door for me and I take a deep breath before stepping out. The sky is unusually bright blue, periodically dappled by a flat cloud or two. The trees in the center of the university does nothing to shade the blinding sun. Students are walking and laughing about, waiting for classes to begin.

But I don't understand. How can the world go on when mine has stopped? How can people go by laughing when my heart has been ripped to pieces? I don't get it.

I float between classes. I don't remember what I've learned in the previous one and when I go to the next, I forget it as soon as I leave the room. After painstakingly long hours, lunch is finally here.

It's my only escape and yet it does nothing to make me feel better. I barely notice my friends trying to get my attention until Jaliyah screams in my ear.

"Hello? Earth to Hope!"

I blink and take in my surroundings. "What? Sorry, I was just thinking."

"About who? Damien?" She coos.

I flinch at the mention of his name, feeling a slow burn in my stomach. When will it get easier? I wish I can have a distraction, something to take my mind off of my own misery.

"Actually..." Before I can speak further, Jaliyah narrows her eyes before moving my hair from my neck.

She grins knowingly and glances at Yalimar and Cellie. "Looks like she got busy last night."

I frown. "What?"

Yalimar rolls her eyes. "Hickey, dummy."

I feel my face burn as my mind goes back to yesterday's events. I move my hair back on my neck and press down hard on my foot in an attempt to control the emotions raging in me. I will not have a mental breakdown so publicly. Thankfully, the fact that I have a hickey isn't that interesting of a topic because when I snap back to reality, Cellie is gushing about Tyler and some amazing date he took her on. Despite barely hearing much of the details, I feel a tinge of jealousy. Cellie has been in love twice, and each time she claims they have been, and still are amazing people. I know what I had with Damien will never be replaceable. I will never feel the love I have for Damien with someone else. I will never be able to smile, kiss, laugh with another person, knowing the one I had thought we were meant to be was only meant to break my heart.

When classes are over, Cellie asks if she and Yalimar can come over. Jaliyah, as usual, has soccer practice.

"Actually is it okay if we hang out at yours today?" I could use a distraction aside from the normal noise in my home.