6. As a Kite

PRETTYMUCH- Open Arms

Damien POV

"You know Jane fucked Daquan right?" Isaiah says, nudging me on the arm. He lights the lighter and hovers it at the end of the blunt.

"I don't care," I shrug. I take the joint before he can smoke it and take a huge pull. Smoke slowly fill my lungs but it's too damn strong. I start coughing. "The fuck is in this shit?" I pass it back to him.

Isaiah smirks. "I heard this came from Switzerland. Fuck that Washington ditch shit. I got a new seller." I've never seen him look more proud. After a pull, he passes the blunt to Carlos.

My phone vibrates and I read the text. It's Hope asking me to tell her more pickup lines. We've been dating for almost two months now, and I'm running out. I can't help but smile as I type in the most corniest one on my mind.

When I look up, Carlos is staring at me incredulously. "You found a new bitch? Damn."

"Watch your fucking mouth," I snap at him. He raises his eyebrows in surprise and passes the blunt to Zach. He doesn't answer but I can tell he's amused.

"He's whipped," Zach tries to explain as he takes a pull. He begins to cough. "I'm gonna be high in two minutes with this."

"Nah bruh. He ain't whipped. He whipped whipped." Isaiah laughs and Zach and Carlos chimes in. I roll my eyes and grab the joint before Carlos can take it. This time I take a slow toke and then another one, relishing in the quiet peace settling over my mind. It's stronger than the ones I normally smoke.

"Who's selling this?" I ask. This is the perfect remedy to shut everything out in minutes. I lean my head against the railing of the abandoned factory. It's only quiet around Zach and Isaiah's neighborhood at this time. Everyone here actually minds their business, so 4 dudes smoking in the middle of the night isn't such a big deal to them.

"Someone named Prince. He came to Washington a couple of days ago."

My body stills and I look over to Zach to make sure I heard the name right. His mouth is slack and his eyes widens.

"Prince? How does he look like?" Zach asks him. His face pales as Isaiah confirms it.

"Tall. Cool looking scar. His nose bent backward," Isaiah laughs. "But he's cool though. I met him at Chris' party and he tried to sell me a dime bag. But once I smoke that shit I'm like naw a dime is too fucking small. I want a benny..."

I tune him out, trying to silence the panic in my head. Prince? How many tall and Spanish guys with a crooked nose is named Prince? I close my eyes as my stomach fills with dread.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

I grab the joint and take a huge toke. The smoke fills my lung too fast and I'm coughing again. "Did he say why he came to Washington? Is he staying?"

"Nah he said he got some business to take care of and then he's heading back." My heart does a double take as I take that in. I'm sure by business, he means his drugs. But I have a feeling that his "business to take care of" isn't stopping there.

Prince is the leader of the gang I used to be in back in California. He was pretty angry at us by the time Zach and I moved to Washington together, although Zach moved in with Isaiah to help him pay rent after his landlord tried to evict him. He must've somehow found out that I framed his friend and came here for revenge.

"Isn't Prince the guy you both ran away from in Cali?" Carlos nosily asks even though he obviously realized.

"We didn't fucking run," I snap at him.