37. ... If One of Them Is Dead

A Great Big World- Say Something

5 Seconds of Summer- Amnesia

Logic- Let Me Go

Post Malone- I Fall Apart (This is my freaking jam)

A/N: Fatal Flaw will be posted in about two months, since I'm not satisfied with the way it's written right now. Please look out for it!

Damien's POV

As soon as I step out of the car on the White House driveway, several agents flank my sides.

"Follow me. Don't make a scene," One of them says, and with that, we walk to a different door than the one I took last time. Under different circumstances, I would've felt like someone of importance with guards around me. Now, I feel like a criminal walking to the electric chair.

We walk through a series of hallways and my heart stops when I see her. Her.

Hope.

Hope's POV

"Are you helping or not?"

"I'm coming, mom." I tie my hair back into a ponytail. "See ya," I tell my friends before exiting out of my room. I probably had roughly 2 hours of sleep before my dad had knocked on the door to ask Cellie about her mom. When she returned, she barely said a word and we didn't ask. We didn't need to.

But since I had no choice but to face a new day, I decided to help my mom prepare the Map Room for a social gathering planned in the evening. Anything to keep my mind busy.

I was about to check my phone when my mom peeked her head in and asked if I was helping. I follow after her now into the kitchen and carry some snacks along with the chefs upstairs. The chefs are quicker than me. They quickly and carefully place the cupcakes on the cupcake holder in a neat circular shape. By the time I'm done with mine, the chefs are already gone to pick up a second batch. I carry the tray out and walk alone down the hallway. I look up and almost drop it when I see Damien.

My breath gives way, my usual response whenever I see him. He's flanked by agents as one of them grabs his arm to direct him. His eyes are on the floor but as if there's a sign, he looks up into my eyes. In a surreal moment, time passes slowly and it's as if my mind has gone into tunnel vision. Everything moves in slow motion.

I take a deep breath and will myself to stay still. He must be turning himself in, though I'm not sure why he came to the White House to do that.

His face is still bruised, but his eyelid is less purple and not swollen anymore. His eyes never leave mine until he passes by me and an agent nudges his shoulder for him to turn around. I close my eyes in an attempt to ground myself. Any second now and he'll disappear down the hallway.

5.

4.

3.

2.

1.

"Wait," I call out before I know what I'm doing. I put the tray down as the agents stop. Heart pounding, I walk towards them and around to face Damien. I peer up into his eyes, and my heart responds. But I can't find the words to speak.

"Hi," He smiles sadly.

"Hi."

"Hope, I'm so-"

"Shh," I say before placing my hands on either side of his face and lean up to kiss his cheek with trembling lips. I close my eyes as it brims with tears and lean back on my heels, pulling a shaky breath. When I look up, a wet streak lines his cheek.