32. To Love Is To Destroy

One Direction- Love You Goodbye

Sia- Breathe Me

Shawn Mendes- Mercy

One Direction- If I Could Fly

Shawn Mendes- Act Like You Love Me

"To love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed."
- Cassandra Clare.

Hope's POV

Dad, of course, scolds me for my reckless behavior. Thankfully he doesn't drag it on longer than it has to. Out of pity, I'm sure.

I had texted Damien to tell him I can't make it to the hospital. I avoided any further conversation and waited two days until he was discharged to make a plan. It isn't much of one, but I don't know what else to do.

I step out of the car and make my way to Damien's door. I wipe my sweaty palms on my jeans. I shouldn't be scared. I shouldn't. But I can't help the feeling of trepidation as I wait on his porch.

The door finally opens and I gasp. Damien's right eye is almost swollen shut and purple, cuts marking his face like pie. I reach for his face instinctively before forcing my hand down.

Even with a bruised face, he manages to look achingly beautiful. It wasn't fair. I had to wear makeup to look somewhat decent and he has marks all over his face and somehow looks, if not more, sexy.

"You should see the other guy-" He begins to say but I walk past him. The door closes.

I bite my lip to calm my fidgeting hands tapping against my jeans. I close my eyes before opening them and turning around to face Damien. "Who did this?"

"I don't know," He says. "I was mugged."

I take a step back and swallow my disappointment. Why am I so hurt? What else did I expect? Of course he'll lie. He's been doing it this whole entire time. I slowly let out a breath as I try to gather my words. "Are you sure?" He nods. "Or is it Prince?"

He freezes. "How do you know his name?"

"You told me about him, remember? He's your gang leader."

"Was."

"If that were true, why would he do this?"

His brows knit into confusion. "I..." He sighs. "Remember when I told you I framed someone? It was Prince's best friend. He somehow found out and came to Washington for revenge." He takes a step closer and offers a tight smile. "Can we not talk about it right now? I miss you."

I swallow, my heart pounding in my chest. I don't want to do this. I don't want to be right. I don't want to connect the dots. But I have no choice. I have to know. "Show me your tattoo."

He frowns. "What?" He takes another step. "What's going on?"

"Stay back," I whisper. I can't get through this if he comes near me.

"Hope-"

"Just do it!" I yell.

He hesitates before pulling his sleeve to reveal the long fangs. "Did it used to be something else?" Say no. Please say no.

"Yeah. There was a lion, but I removed it. What's this about?"

Oh God. Oh God. Oh God.

"Hope-" He starts towards me but I back up, my heart quickening and my mouth agape in horror. "What is going on?" He starts towards me again and I scramble back, almost tripping. I shouldn't be scared. I shouldn't, but I am.