11. Maybe

One Direction- I Wanna Write You a Song

Sexy pic of Damien^

Hope's POV

My dad frowns at the newspaper before raising his eyebrows. He quickly looks up at me with a bewildered expression.

"What?" I ask, through a mouthful of tuna sandwich.

My mom opens the door just then, revealing the SSAs standing guard outside the house.

We had visited family in New Jersey for two days and now we're currently on a three-day vacation at Tamawaha Island after a busy month at the White House. My dad had managed to pass several laws that were very unpopular to some members of the Congress; The Green Card Act, which makes it easier for immigrants without criminal records to obtain green cards, the PATG Act, which makes it harder to obtain guns, the Justice Act, which prompts police officers to re-investigate cases where evidence were circumstantial. It was very hectic work and if it wasn't for the help of VP Andrew Rodriguez and Chief of Staff Mark Nolan, I'm sure my dad would've fallen apart.

It was also Nolan and my mom who ordered him to take a break. Now we're at an island in my dad's second house he'd recently bought, and he still managed to get the Washington Digest every morning. My mom frowns at it upon sight but she kisses his cheek and takes the paper from his hand.

"Joe, This," My mom waves the newspaper before taking her seat, "Is a distraction. Andrew is handling the bulk. You can relax for a few seconds."

My dad doesn't answer. Instead he looks deep in thought and I can't tell if he's angry or not.

"Honey, look at the front page," He says, his eyes burning into mine. My heart skips a beat.

My mom lightly gasps as she turns the paper over. She looks up at me and I take the paper in curiosity.

My heart sinks. At the top of the page reads, Joseph Madison announces $600 million in grants for low-income students attending college, ratings increase. But then at the center of the page, in big, bold, black letters read, Is Hope Madison in a Relationship? On the cover is a picture of Damien and I. Thank God Damien's face is mostly covered by his cap, but the picture still says a thousand other words. Someone managed to take a picture at the exact moment I took his hand away from my face. The caption reads: Hope Madison is seen holding hands with mystery boy at college campus. Page 8.

"Why wasn't I informed that he attends your school?" My dad's voice is accusatory.

"He doesn't... go to my school. Dad, he just showed up. I didn't ask him to. We spoke for literally 5 minutes and then he left. It's not a big deal." I wonder what my Dad would think had I said He doesn't go to school at all. I'm sure it wouldn't be favorable.

"Not a big deal? You're on the front page of the damn news!" He exclaims. "You know what this means, right?"

"Dad, no! A background check isn't necessary. People don't even know who it is, you can barely see him." My voice is an octave too high, revealing how nervous I am. Will Damien see this? Will Zach show him? A sinking feeling settles in my stomach. If he finds out this way, it'll be over.

"I'm going to sooner or later, Hope. Why don't he come over for dinner? Then maybe I can get to know him before checking him up. Deal?"

My mom peeks out from over her coffee and gives me a pointed glare.

"I'll... tell him." I avoid his gaze by skimming through page 8 of the newspaper.

When the White House Correspondent Dinner was actually funny: Joseph Madison sends crowd into huge uproar with his hilarious speech...