Immortality's Curse

Sun Wukong had never believed in miracles.

Things like destiny or fate, were all excuses people made to explain why certain things happened out of their control.

As such, he rather despised when someone attempted to claim what his destiny was. He made his own path. Always have and always will.

Sometimes there were influences, sure.

Like friends, duty, or promises. Those things could always alter what path you walk. However, he had never once doubted that this road he is on is something not of his choosing. After all, mistakes were something everyone loved to point out. When you did something good, it was "due to the gods' ' or "destiny intended so". Yet mistakes were alllll on your shoulders. Any mistakes he made were due to him and only him, so he truly believed any success was also the same.

Rather redundant.

So whatever happened on his journey to the west, he did it all of his own free will. When the journey was done, all the mistakes that followed after were also his. At least, that is what he was taught by his Master. He valued his words above all else, having changed a lot on account of his teachings.

He wanted to believe he was a better person. That one day all of this would work out and the consequences of his actions would be forgiven with time if he just worked hard enough.

In his youth, he didn't like to see it that way. Some part of him gladly blamed any mistake he made on destiny's shoulders. After all, his accomplishments often were given to fate, so why couldn't his failures also be so?

It was a naive thought.

He knows better now, though it was far too late.

His companions had left him long ago. He actually wondered if he was cursed. Or just wasn't suited for things like connections. One way or another, every friend, every precious person, had left him. Whether through time and age, or through betrayal. He had gotten used to being alone.

It was better this way. Only the monkeys of peach fruit mountain seemed to linger, but even they couldn't stick around forever. They were more simple and peaceful beings, but their lives were finite.

From time to time, he allows his mind to recall a distant past. One of laughter, peaches, and a lovely companion.

The loveliest he had encountered in all his travels. The embodiment of home .

Wukong could still recall the smell of plums. The soft brush of darkened fur. Eyes he could drown in and a smile so heavenly that it made him forget that anything else existed. More beautiful than the moon at its peak in the sky.

" Sun Wukong~"

His name had never sounded so sweet.

He was naive to the idea of it all of course. In his foolishness he never once truly understood the weight this companion had on him. He had the audacity to believe that similar to his longevity, this too would last forever. So there was no need to hold it too tight, or guard it with all his might, because surely it would never leave him.

He was the Great Sun Wukong, Sage Equal to Heaven! Nothing would get past him. Be it god or demon alike, all would cower if they tried to touch a single dark hair upon the head of his moon.

It never occurred to him that he might be the one to end it all. All it took was one bone cracking thrust of his staff for the light of the stars to leave such lovely eyes. Many things had led up to this. It wasn't just some spur of the moment, no. He would never just-

.....

...The decision he made that day was the hardest he had ever made. Emotions were high, and the taste of battle was coppery in his mouth.