Da

"Explain how this happened again?"

A comb, simple but sturdy, tore into Wukong's fur with little regard for the monkey it was attached to. Whining, the King waved his arms around in a fit.

"Gentle!" he huffed, surging forward just to sit up, just to be tugged back and fall into his comfortable spot between his mate's knees. With a heavy sigh, the comb pushed its way back against his skull. Prying what felt like his very skin from his bone with every brush.

"Explain." the words fell from Liu'er's mouth once more.

"Okay so-" Wukong lifted his hands. "I was just minding my own business-"

Liu'er rolled his eyes, "Uh-huh...."

"I was!" his mate insisted. "Anyway, I was minding my own business, when up from the trail this- this-" he waved his hand in a circle for the right word. "Little punk just pops out of the bushes!" he seethed, shaking his head. Elegant fingers carded through the King's fur, untangling branches and other such things from its hold. It had been a regular day- until for some reason he spotted Wukong fighting an overgrown toddler.

"And what did this punk want?" Liu'er mused. His King had won the little spat and sent the child fleeing back where he came from, so he wasn't all that concerned. It did seem though that more and more strangers were venturing to their mountain.

"For me to come with him to the celestial realm." Wukong says so casually, so unaware, that Liu'er snagged his face and forced it back to look the monkey in the eye.

"To where?!"

"...C-Celestial realm?" Wukong shrunk.

The two stare at one another in silence. Slowly, Liu'er lifts the comb, and swats the Monkey King firmly on the nose. "You're a fool."

"Ow! Why?? I mean, I'm sure you have a point, but why??" he demanded, holding his swatted nose in betrayal. It wasn't as though he did anything wrong. At least, as he deemed wrong. Sure he pissed off the celestial realm and a few demons here and there, but it wasn't like he was the worst of the worst.

He was the King after all. Bowing to some Jade Emperor would defuse the point of his title.

So when the random child known as Nezha showed his face and demanded he be captured willingly, of course Wukong did what anyone else would.

He smacked the kid.

"You draw too many eyes your way." Liu'er shakes his head. "What are you going to do if they send something serious after you?"

Wukong pursed his lips, "You know, I think that brat was supposed to be "serious" and that is why they sent him. So..." he smirked impishly, leaning against his mate's knees with ease. "I'm not too worried."

Another hefty smack with the comb struck him between the eyes.

"Hey! I beat him didn't I?" he threw his arms to the side. "What more do you want? Should I have just gone with him??"

Liu'er clicked his tongue. He truly wished his sun would think from time to time. "You became the size of a mountain and fought him over the tribe."

"Cause the kid did some wacky transformation! I was just showing I could do it too."

"Over. The. Tribe." Liu'er jabbed his finger repeatedly against Wukong's thick skull. "You could have easily drawn him somewhere else."

"I guess I could have but-"

"Wukong, you weren't just fighting over me and the tribe..." his eyes waver with worry, "But also the baby..."