Why 2, and not 3?(Part one)

Macaque had set the papers down with a concluding thunk, falling back into his chair. "Then we are in agreement," Macaque culminated, crossing one leg over his knee.

Wukong sat tall and confident, his hands folded over each other on the table. He nodded eagerly, "Absolutely," he affirmed with a determined inflection. "The extensive research that has been conducted undoubtedly supports our findings."

The two had never been able to agree more, sharing solemn nods in favor of the silence. They had discussed this for days now, finding but one solution.

"Research speaks facts," Macaque says, waving his hand.

Wukong took a sip of his drink, as if the two had just settled over a long-winded argument- that had both on the same side. More of a strongly worded agreement that both were quick to dig their heels into and settle on, "He wouldn't be comfortable. He still has some growing to do-"

"Spending 5 hours in a room of strangers would not improve his social growth," Macaque added in.

"Exactly," Wukong nods reverently. "Colors? Shapes? He can learn that here."

"Better here, even." Macaque says with confidence. With that settled, the two adults gave their shared decision.

Their Son would not be attending Preschool until he was at least four.

And this definitely wasn't because they were both having issues with the concept of their son spending 5 hours away from them for several days in a row.

...definitely not.

"Well, in that case, Xiaotian will spend the upcoming three days at my home," Wukong shared, "and the weekends here with you?" An even 3 and a half days.

As the boy grew older, his age creeping closer and closer to three and a quarter, Macaque knew it was time to solidify their shared custody. After months of gradual introductions and easing into the arrangement, both parents were now familiar faces to the child. The uncertainty and unease that once hung in the air had dissipated, replaced by a sense of calm and stability. With this newfound comfort, Macaque knew it was time to make their co-parenting official.

"Agreed," Macaque had finished, signing off the last of the paperwork and sliding it over to his ex-husband. A contract of sorts. Not that such flimsy paper's had any real meaning, but having an oath in both words and a paper was a comfort.

Wukong signed his name in a quick, scribbled signature and handed it back to Macaque. Macaque studied it briefly, while Wukong anxiously waited. He had rehearsed how to write his name, but now he feared that it might not be readable.

"...You can spell your name now." Macaque anticipated Wukong to simply doodle himself as he typically did for his tags.

Wukong let out a nervous chuckle and his tail gave a small wag under the table, "Yeahhh," he said as he rubbed the back of his head. "I've been picking up some new skills." Mostly from Tang.

Macaque blinked twice, slowly processing the name written on the page in front of him. "...Wuwong," he said out loud, lashes fluttering to peer up at the King. He smirked.

Wukong's face went crimson in color, "..." he was scrambling to retrieve the paper to fix it.

With an effortless movement, Macaque held the object at arm's length, a sly smirk spreading across his face. "Son Wuwong," he taunted, fanning himself with the paper.

Wukong's cheeks burned with a red-hot flush of embarrassment, his arms flailing about in a wild frenzy. "No, no, I didn't mean-Let me fix it~!"

Macaque's lips twisted into a sneer, his tail flicking back and forth with an evil glint in his eye. It was the same look he always got when he found something amusing. "What else did you learn?" he taunted, flapping the paper just out of reach.