The Wonderings of the Past

The Demon Bull Domain was a shell of its former self. Silent corridors held still with mournful echoes of the past.

Aside from a handful of guards, the only life that seemed to spur from here was of the two forms cradling the other against the carpet.

All while the slumbering Prince lay undisturbed in his bed, as he had for the last 500 years.

The room was stagnant, except for the faint sound of Princess Iron Fan's muffled sobs. She lifted her head after some time and looked away from her brother, ashamed and wishing she were stronger than to succumb to such emotions in front of him. After years of burying these feelings, she thought she had grown cold from their touch. To think it took one look from such familiar auburn eyes that she broke so easily.

Macaque's gaze never faltered. Lifting his hand, he softly wiped away one of the tears that had slid down her cheek. Gently he gathered a lock of her hair that had stuck to her damp skin, brushing it behind her ear.

He glanced around the room nervously before speaking in a soft voice, his words carrying with them a glimmer of optimism amidst the despair of his surroundings, "We will figure this out together."

Gongzhu's laugh was a hollow, lonely sound. Her eyes were dull and tired as she shook her head in disbelief. "I have searched for 500 years, Mihou..." She trailed off with a sigh.

Macaque leaned forward, the fire of determination alight in his gaze. "We will search 500 more if we need to," he said firmly. "Nothing is impossible."

Iron Fan closed her eyes and felt the fatigue of years of struggle. Each time she thought victory was within reach, she had been forced to start over from scratch. The weight of her losses sat in her soul like a stone.

There were only so many times a person could rebuild what was broken.

But in the depths of her despair, a spark of hope still burned. As unbelievable as it sounded, her brother had returned to her side, and he believed the future could be different. Perhaps it wasn't impossible to reclaim what she had lost.

"You have so much on your own side of things." She reminded him somberly, "Your own child to worry about. You should focus on him first."

"I will focus on my family." Mihou says, a tenderness in his voice. "That means you and my child." He offered a smile. The self-same smile that he held only for those precious to him.

Iron Fan took a deep breath, feeling the world's weight lift slightly from her shoulders. Perhaps this was the start of something new, something better. She wasn't naive enough to believe they could fix everything, but even something small was a start.

They both knew that the road ahead would be difficult and there would be many challenges to overcome, but they also knew that they had each other. Which is more than either of them had in a long time.

"We should focus on your young one first." She says, since there was a time limit. "Do you trust Wukong to keep to his side of the deal?"

Trust was a word Macaque didn't know how to associate with Wukong anymore. His mind couldn't help but wander to the possible scenarios of what Wukong could do, but he pushed it aside. He needed to focus on what they could control.

"I trust him to at least return by the end of the month," Macaque said, his voice barely above a grumble. "But if he doesn't, I will not hesitate to take matters into my own hands." The idea of burning down the Mountain, as he promised, was something heavy in his chest. Could he truly go through with such a crazy threat?

Iron Fan nodded, understanding the weight of his words. She knew what he was capable of, and she trusted him to do what was necessary to protect their family, "I suppose you will be making your return back to the Mountain then?"