Settling In

Macaque stirred and peeked open his eyes, the morning air sweet with the aroma of fruit.

He sank into the cushions of the couch he was on, his body slowly adjusting to the comfort of the sheets and blankets as they settled around him. The plush pillow cradled his head and he nestled into its embrace, luxuriating in a peacefulness that had been absent from his sleep for far too long.

He felt a warm buzzing sensation emanating from his core, and he luxuriated in the feeling. His hand stretched out wide as he rolled to one side, limbs draped over the couch. He let his other arm rest on his chest, fingers splayed open.

This was... strangely nice?

The smell of peaches surrounded him. For a moment, a blissful little moment, he forgot.

He allowed himself to bask in the scent that had always made him feel safe. The scent that made him smile. He hummed, and curled closer against the sheets.

He almost murmured a name- Wukong's name. Almost let himself fall into the thralls of comfort the smell offered him.

Then he remembered where he was.

Sharply he sat upward, clenching his fists around the blanket that was draped over him. It was soft, almost unnoticeable to the mortal eye, but he knew. This was Wukong's fur made into the form of a fluffy comforter.

His heart raced as he frantically pushed it off, blindly throwing the offending item away. He could almost feel the memories of the past rushing back to him. His hands trembled as he stared at the blanket with wide eyes, haunted by what it reminded him of.

He shifted on the bed, silently pulling his knees close to his chest. Macaque bit his lip and shrunk in on himself, pressing his forehead into his knees, "Don't..." he warned himself. His fingers twitched with the temptation to reach out for the blanket. Almost allowing himself to grasp it to bring it back to him and smell it. To let himself just pretend he didn't know it was Wukong who made it and just enjoy its warmth.

Pretend for a moment nothing was wrong and he was waking up like every other day before his heart stopped beating.

He wouldn't allow that though.

Touching the side of his head to exhale and calm down, a somberness filled his chest. Mindlessly he reached down to pat Xiaotian's head-

Nothing.

Macaque aggressively slammed his hands against his own bare and empty chest. He felt a surge of fear when he realized the small cub, which had been snuggled close to him moments ago, was no longer there.

Further on, he quickly became aware he was no longer outside of the waterfall, but rather inside it.

Laid against the couch and covered in the very sweet and musky scent of the Wukong made blanket.

"What...?" he whispered.

His son was gone.

Was that a dream?

No. No no, was that a dream? That wonderful experience? Had he just dreamt that he had met his Son??

Searching wildly, his ears quickly picked up on a noise. Stemming from the kitchen, he could hear soft chopping.

"Me~ Me~ Me~" the bell-like sound of his Son was chiming from within. The cutting paused, followed by Wukong trying to shush the child.

"Shh, Bud." he mused. "Your Baba is sleeping. We gotta be quiet." he plopped some fruit into the toddler's mouth. "Patience."

MK waited a total of 3 seconds before saying, "More?"

Wukong chuckled, "Fine, more," he offered him another slice. MK eagerly gobbled it up, gripping on to his Father's pant leg as he worked. He clung against Wukong's knee, climbing up his leg and onto his back after a short time.