Our World

Seven days had passed since the long-awaited reunion between MK and Macaque. As they settled into life at the temple, it felt as though everything had been turned on its head in little ways. The once quiet and serene atmosphere was now filled with bustling activity and new energy thanks to their newest resident.

Overall, there was a sense of peace in the air, despite the occasional moments of awkwardness between the adults in the family.

For MK, however, there couldn't have been a more joyful time. Every day was filled with laughter and love, making it feel like a dream.

There was just a small catch...

"Xiaotian-!" Wukong almost managed to snag the toddler's leg before the scamp fled below the porch of the house. Wukong dropped to his hands and knees to peer under, Macaque standing a few feet behind him with a toothbrush in hand. It was soft and lathered in a thin layer of toothpaste.

After finishing up dinner, Wukong had just started to get the kid ready for bed when MK had run out to avoid the final step before bed time- brushing his teeth.

He had run right to Macaque's current house- bursting through the door. Macaque had only just gotten in there after saying goodnight to MK for the evening. He had heard Xiaotian coming, of course, but figured it was to say goodnight- not to barrel through the living room in a flourish and run right back out with Wukong on his heels with a toothbrush in hand.

Chasing the toddler around for a few minutes, the boy escaped below the house.

The two parents crouched downward to look into the darkness below the house porch, seeing two golden eyes staring back.

"Moondrop, this is so your teeth can stay healthy," Macaque beckoned, offering his best smile.

"Don't wanna." MK said simply. There wasn't any disdain or hatred in his expression or voice- just a simple no. Neither of them could fathom it. MK's tail curled around him when both of his parents peeked at him from beyond the porch. He covered his mouth at the sight of the toothbrush. "No," he says again.

"Has he always hated having his teeth brushed?" Macaque questioned, staring at their son.

"Well, no. This is a new development," Wukong sighed, rubbing his temples. Neither could deny this hadn't started until after Macaque had returned. Little things MK had no issues with were suddenly constant battles. But there was no reason for it to be happening in the first place. MK was nothing but smiles and sunshine when they were all together, and Macaque hadn't done anything to convince the kid that brushing your teeth was a bad thing. "He's been more... defiant, I guess you could say."

Macaque frowned, setting the toothbrush down on the porch. "...Is it my fault?" he rubbed his chin, mumbling to himself.

Wukong quickly looked at him, quick to admonish that idea, "What? No no, it isn't." he says, startling the Moon Monkey. "The kid is always changing what he does or doesn't like. I'm sure this is just that again."

"...Is that so?" Macaque glanced under the porch again, concerned. He hoped that was true. If his presence was somehow making MK's life imbalanced, he wanted to fix that. He supposed MK was simply going through a phase of testing boundaries, a common developmental curve.

After much effort and cajoling, the two parents finally got their son inside Wukong's house and into the bathroom. Together, they held onto the toddler as he stood with his mouth comically agape while Wukong brushed his teeth.

As if brushing his teeth was never an issue now that they were both there.

"Alright," Wukong says as MK spit into the sink. "See bud? Not so bad right?" walking the child out, each holding one of his hands to swing him between them, they lead him to his and Wukong's shared bedroom. "Bed time now,"