The day the Eclipse met the Moon

There was a sensation of nausea. It swirled in the back of Macaque's mind, drawing his attention to the churning of his stomach.

His ears flutter, batting like small wings for just a moment before settling on the silence.

Or at least, the absence of talking. There was never truly silence when his ears could pick up even the faintest heart beat.

He could hear his own- puttering away and dragging him down with its noise. Then, there was Wukong's.

Steady like a drum, quickening in pace as they stared at one another. Strong and vivid- nearly dominating Macaque's senses. He could drown in that sound- if it wasn't for the sweetest little thumping right behind the King.

Irregularly fast, as many children's hearts tend to be. Fitting the little body it belonged to until it mellowed with age.

Macaque couldn't see them at first, but perhaps that was a good thing. For now he focused on Wukong's eyes.

The very person Mihou had been seeking for the last fw years, for what felt like lifetimes, was just a few feet in front of him, hidden by Wukong's form.

Macaque tried not to throw up the contents of his stomach, wondering exactly how well he was keeping his composure intact.

Standing on the other side of Macaque, Wukong's gaze locked with his. The King's gaze turned steely as he rested his hand firmly at his own hip, a silent gesture of strength and resolution for their child standing behind him. His voice was steady and strong when he spoke. "Are you ready?"

No, is what Macaque wanted to say. He wasn't ready at all. He had so many thoughts and worries in his brain. With no means of verbalizing, he swallowed thickly.

Wukong looked into Mihou's eyes, searching desperately for a sign of hope. He felt the familiar urge to reach out and brush a strand of hair from his forehead, just as he had done so many times in the past when the inky monkey was in turmoil. Wukong wanted to soothe Mihou somehow, but all he could do was keep searching for something that wasn't there.

Instead of reaching out, he stood rigidly and clenched his fist. His mouth twitched as he searched for the right words, "He'll love you." He says with certainty.

Mihou stiffened, his eyes widening as he took a step back. His fists clenched, and his body trembled. A furious fire burned behind his amber eyes. It pissed him off that Wukong was trying to comfort him right now... but he needed it. He hated that he needed it.

His voice wavered as much as he didn't want it to, his grinding teeth falling into a grimace, "Will he?" he whispered.

Wukong's eyes were sharp and gold, holding no lies, "He'll love you even more than his snack time, I'm sure." Wukong snapped his attention rightward when a little hand lifted from behind his back

"Snack?"

Macaque gasped, his ears locking in on such a little voice. The chime of angelic bells.

He fixated on the sight of the tiny fingers wrapped around the fabric of Wukong's sleeve, and his eyes shook with emotion. He tilted his head ever so slightly to get a better view, marveling at the wonder of it all. The little fingers were soft and plump, with dimples on the knuckles where they bent.

"Dada? Snack Please?" the voice- their child, made grabby hands. Macaque watched every motion intently, instinctively raising his hand to cover his mouth. It was crystal clear in his ears, which twitched.

Realizing he said the forbidden word, Wukong dug into his bag to pull out a little banana. He peeled it before he held it behind him, "Okay Xiaotian- last snack. Are you ready to meet your Baba?"