Return to Flower Fruit Mountain

The mountain was unbearably hot that summer day. The heat wave had struck without warning, urging any and all to take shelter near the cool touch of the river that cut through the terrain. Everything was still- undisturbed for the longest of time.

If this mountain had eyes, it would wake to find a stranger at its borders. Behind this figure, tingling red billowed from the earth's crust, illuminating their form in a sunset glow. The mountain, which had seen dozens of untold sunrises, knew this figure well, and it had been quite some years since it welcomed them home.

Mindfully the figure approached. Cautious in their speed and view, hugging the tree line to keep as hidden within the shadows as possible. They hiked up their scarf, exhaling into the fabric.

"One step at a time, Liu'er..." the figure told themselves. With another step, he was officially within the borders of Flower Fruit Mountain. He was home.

Carefully he crept through the underbrush, slipping between tree trunks to head up the east path. He kept his form nearly incorporeal, prepared to drop in and out of shadows when the need arose. He had no means of knowing what seals Wukong may have placed upon the mountain since his last return here. Surely he wasn't foolish enough to leave them in the same spots? Stepping up to a few jagged rocks, he glanced at one in particular, recalling how long ago Wukong had placed his seal there.

"..." Macaque sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose at seeing an all too familiar yellow seal peering back at him. Okay, so perhaps he gave Wukong too much credit, and the buffoon really hadn't changed the layout of the seals. Such a mistake would just work in his favor.

He quickly stepped around it, slipping around its seeking touch to avoid detection. He knew where every Seal was- left, right- up five steps and down two- and it was child's play to avoid them all. Further up the mountain, he went, pausing to stare at its peak. His heart ached painfully. He was drawn to the location, his soul aching for what lay on top.

"How old are you now, little Star?" he mumbled quietly, burying his face into his scarf for some small seekings of comfort. He had cradled his child, still safe within their egg, with this scarf years ago. Of course, his death and subsequent resurrection had come and gone- yet the smell of his stone egg still lingered upon the fabric.

Sweet bread and milk- like heaven on earth.

Finding some courage, he continued scaling the mountain, mindful to avoid getting too close to the river. He couldn't sense Wukong's fiery life force anywhere nearby. Which meant only two options; he was away from the mountain or was behind the waterfall and his most substantial seal.

Taking his time to climb the rocky cliffs, he journeys further upward, breaching the top of the mountain after an hour's hike. He usually could make such a path quickly, but he kept it slow to avoid any detection from Wukong. Swallowing his abilities down and opting to climb with his hands.

Panting a little, still feeling the fatigue of 500 years of being dead, he plopped down heavily. His muscles ached, and his bones felt creaky. That's right... "500 years..." he grumbled. That is how long time has passed since he last saw the rising sun. Time sure did feel different when you were nothing but a haunted soul.

Leaning forward to rest his hands against his knees. The peak of Flower Fruit Mountain was waiting behind him. He was near the stone steps, hand-set by Wukong to lead up to their nursery.

Macaque couldn't deny the nerves spinning in his gut. 500 years was indeed enough time for their child to be born. Does that mean he is fully grown now? A young adult who surely didn't need the dim memory of his Father, undoubtedly poisoned against him by Wukong's doing.