~•~ 28 - Amikko Koko ~•~

~•~•~

Of all members of the Shadow Misfits, Amikko Koko is the only one with a primary mutant quirk.

Some of the others have small mutations to their bodies, if only to use their quirks, like Hatsume Mei's quirk is considered a mutant type, but only because it mutated her eyes.

Koko's quirk is called butterfly. It gives her wings and antennas of a butterfly while also turning her skin pink. Basically, she is a humanoid butterfly.

It's not that bad. Most of the other mutants of The Valley are not in the age group the Reigning Three had decided to recruit from.

Those who were, however, either didn't fit into the profile they had envisioned for the Shadow Misfits or when they did, they declined and had no intentions of fighting for The Valley.

But if Koko is honest, she just wants to do her best to help others. With her intellect she was assigned to Division 5, Misfit Mind, under the alias of Taffy.

Thanks to her quirk, her sight, taste and smell is the most evolved of all her senses, but she has a little difficulty hearing. But it's her enhanced senses that gave her the role of watcher and spy of the team.

While she mostly relies on her strong sense of smell to identify those around her, she uses her eyes to connect the unique smell of people to one another. That way, should villains decide to abandon their makeshift base made out of an abandoned house, she can easily tell if they were in that house thanks to having the unique smell only connected to that person.

~•~•~

Koko can understand why other mutants were so reluctant to join. Their distinctive mutant features would sell them out immediately to their families, should they ever set sights on them.

So Koko is a little glad that her parents died when she was just a baby. Of course, that doesn't mean that she never wondered how it would be, being raised by her parents instead of the orphanage.

Thankfully, the caretakers of the orphanage never met her when the Shadow Misfits were out on duty since they usually stay in the orphanage themselves to make sure that the kids were safe and that none of the kids decided to do anything stupid in the middle of the night.

Granted, they only check up on all the rooms once, when all children are sent to sleep and only walk around the halls from time to time, but they do check any room they did hear any kind of suspicious noise from.

So Koko and the other Shadow Misfits of the orphanage are quite lucky that they can sneak out unnoticed. Especially as they grew older, the caretakers saw it less and less fit to monitor them as closely as the younger children of the orphanage.

Whenever Koko sees the happy expressions of the younger children, she is glad to have joined the Shadow Misfits to be able to keep these children safe and protected to be able to smile and be happy like that.

~•~•~