19| N E W S

A week had passed since Celeste had been discharged from the hospital and back in the only house she ever felt safe within

A week had passed since Celeste had been discharged from the hospital and back in the only house she ever felt safe within. At first, it was difficult for the young girl to adjust to normality after being forced to act a certain way and if she didn't follow the rules, there were always serious consequences which also ended up with Celeste being punished or locked in the dog cage for the night depending on what she had done.

Every time Charlie learned something new about what Celeste had gone through because of Renee, Phill, or Bella he was nearly on the verge of crying or trying to stop himself from going and killing the bastards himself. He could tell even the simplest things were hard for Celeste to do. Just like when he asked her what she wanted for breakfast one morning. Her silence and embarrassed red face made him realize that the basic needs to live were taken away from his daughter.

His upset expression turned to fury once Celeste had explained to him that she was only allowed breakfast once and only if she had cleaned the whole house. He couldn't believe it, his mind was creating endless questions he wanted to ask but he held his tongue. It wouldn't be fair for his daughter to be pressured into opening up and reliving her traumatic past.

The nightmares were frequent every night which Charlie was prepared for, but when he remembered how Dr Cullen had Celeste focus on Jacobs's heartbeat to calm her down that one time in the hospital. He had asked the boy if he would be alright staying over for the night to see if anything would change.

Thankfully it did, Celeste still had her recurring nightmares but once Jacob started to stay the night, her screams wouldn't last as long. Even unconsciously she knew that with Jake she would be fine, and he would keep her safe.

Even Sam had come by a couple of times wanting to see his imprint which shocked Charlie but after it wore off, he was extremely grateful at how protective the two boys have been over his daughter.

But when his phone rang all the progress Celeste had made during the week was now in jeopardy with the news Sheriff Swan had just received from a co-worker at the station. The whole time the officer was explaining the situation there was one question circling around Charlie's mind.

How was he going to tell Celeste?

Deeply sighing, the Sheriff drops the phone on the table and walks toward the living, he stops and takes a moment to watch his daughter as her full concentration is on the movie that's playing on the tv. Sometimes the man was still in a daze at the realisation that his Celeste was back home.

"Cel?" he questions with a forced smile not wanting her to worry or panic by his wavering tone.

"Dad? What's wrong?" Celeste had heard her father's loud mumbles to whomever he was on the phone with. It didn't take much to understand that something was wrong.

"I don't want to scare you," Charlie sits down on the couch next to his daughter "But I've just got some information and I think you should know"

"So tell me." Celeste tilts her head to the side a little confused.