28 | T O A S T

"What's going on here?"

After returning to the Rez from the intense conversation with the Cullen family, the tension was high as they returned to the packhouse. However, their emotions soon turned to panic when they saw Seth still asleep on the couch alone. Just as their wolves were about to take control, from the corner of Jared's eye he caught a flicker of movement at the entrance of the woods.

A collective of sighs of relief escaped the boy's lips as they walked toward their imprint, their own eyes widened in shock as they saw her cuddling into Paul's side.

"I'm giving Paul a hug." Celeste mumbles, tightening her grip on his waist, unwilling to let the comforting warmth disappear.

She knew there were a lot of questions that needed answered, especially how easy it seemed for her body to relax around them. However, for the first time in a long time, her mind was quiet and calm, so for now she decided to embrace the silence and get her answers another day.

"What the..." Seth yawns as he walks out of the house with the rest of the pack, his lips turning to a frown as he notices how close Celeste is to Paul. "Why are you being so nice to him?" He questions slightly confused.

"Didn't Sam tell you to leave?" Embry states crossing his arms over his chest, glaring at the back of Paul's head.

"Better get going, hot head," Leah remarks with a smirk, narrowing her eyes at the boy.

"GUYS STOP" Sam growls out through the mind links "He didn't do anything wrong, so quit the comments." He snarls out.

"What are you talking about? He literally admitted to calling her a whore." Quill rolls his eyes at his Alpha.

"SHUT UP" Celeste screamed out in frustration and protectiveness; she couldn't believe how easily they had turned on him. Almost like they had given up on him and now he was the enemy.

"Celeste" Jake opens his mouth to speak, but seeing his imprint shake her head he decides to keep his mouth closed and keep quiet. 

This wasn't how he expected his morning to turn out, he knew this whole situation was crazy and a mess which is why he understood where his pack mates were coming from because they didn't know what had actually happened yet. Their wolves would have been anxious and unpredictable and in this moment, Paul was a threat to their imprint.

Nevertheless, he knew that even though he and Paul would often argue and disagree he knew the shifter didn't deserve this. It could have been any of them that was targeted, even Jared was lucky he was only used one time.

"He made a mistake," Celeste whispers shaking her head. "He didn't want to say it and doesn't know why he did." She confesses.

"It's fine," Paul mutters, avoiding eye contact with his pack he had never been so vulnerable in front of them before and he knew if he looked at them, he would break down. He wouldn't class his dad as a parent, he didn't care enough to be given that title.