The Little Mouse *

WARNING: Some coarse language and dark scenes.

Something within me dropped. Loki obviously knew what was happening. Was this his escape plan? It seemed a bit early but perfectly timed. My eyes narrowed as I tried to reach the answer from him. My efforts seemed fruitless because all I received was white noise.

Loki smirked. Don't try to out trick the trickster. His vice echoed throughout my head.

I wasn't planning to. I scowled.

Wait, he's a telepath? Castor came upon the revelation a few moments after me. HELP ME OUTTA HERE MAN! I'LL RULE THE WORLD WITH YOU, WHATEVER, JUST GET ME OUT.

Be quiet. I muttered. He's preoccupied with other things.

Castor receded to the Mindspace grumbling. A jolt on top of the plane interrupted my thoughts. Loki tensed and I did too. Memories came spiralling back to me in vivid colour and emotion.

"WHERE IS SHE?" The voice bellowed, I whimpered and drew further away from the door. The lightning storm in synchronisation with the jolts of panic running through me. Bruce shushed me. He would be going to college soon and the days were trickling away that he'd actually be here, the days that he could protect me. I was six years old, I'd been living with Bruce for almost two years, after mum was sent away. I clutched the stuffed puppy to my chest trying to hold in my whimpers of fear. Bruce shifted back the chair so I'd be hiding.

"Be quiet," he whispered and I nodded.

Mom. Hurt. Dad. Abuse. Homework. Beer. Hurt. Police.

The words flitted through Bruce's head like an ancient artefact slowly spilling it's secrets for all to see.

"He's not going to hurt me is he?" I asked in a timid voice.

"No," Bruce answered too quickly, "I won't let him hurt you. I promise."

I tried not to cry at the last few words he said, I sensed the lie in his words. He couldn't protect me, nobody could.

"IS SHE IN HERE?" He snarled and slammed open the door. His figure was outlined in the yellow light, leaving him to a hunched, slathering lunatic who struck fear into my young heart. The organ hammered against my ribcage like a hummingbird trying to free itself from its cage. I squinted my eyes shut, determined not to make a sound. "Come out little mouse, I'd rather not chase you around,"

"No she isn't, how about you try the park again?" Bruce spoke calmly to his drunken father. For a second it appeared as if the monster was going to leave. He took one last look around the room, and unfortunately, spotted me.

"Here she is!" He snarled and yanked me out, hitting my head on the desk. I cried out in pain as my vision began to dance before me, but began to struggle, my life almost depended on it.

"Don't!" Bruce cried. But the monster managed to lock him inside his bedroom, me still squirming in his arms like a fish out of water. Bruce slammed on the door. His shouts and shrieks becoming unbearable. I began to cry again. "Don't!" His bloodcurdling cries fading as I was dragged down the hall away from my best friend.

"Time to play with the little mouse," His breath was heavy with the presence of alcohol as he dragged me to his bedroom. The lightning outside, lashing once again.

I gritted my teeth as I tried to control my ragged breathing. Bruce and my's cries that night. The stink of whatever he'd drunk and the slamming of the door. The memories jittered my senses, turning them to a state of panic.