Playing Games *

Songs:
Ender's Game Score Suite

"Nicholas James Fury," I cooly stated. Sarcasm dripping from my bitter words as I began to stand on my ankle lightly.

"Rebecca Banner," he replied in the same, disapproving tone. After relaying all of his orders, he'd turned back to me, awaiting the arrival of an evac team.

"Rebecca is my aunt's name, Becky is mine," I scowled, I hated the resemblance between the two names, the mistake that people often made. Even though my full name was Rebecca, I called myself Becky.

He didn't drop his steely gaze, "I need to talk to you, about something,"

"You're gonna ask me to save the world, aren't you?" I snapped, according to Fury's expression, I was right. "How do you expect me to save the world when I can't save myself?"

"I'm not asking you-"

"Don't lie to me," I snapped. Knowing that his thoughts instantly had drifted to the name of an Initiative, him standing before the council in his duster. They were gathering people, special people. Special people to do the work for them that they never could. Worst of all, Bruce was on that list.

As the adrenaline ebbed away, fury began to swell within me, against this man, against his organisation. The anger at him locking me up and submitting me to countless tests, poking and prodding. The desperation for a fraction of light that was only granted once in the entire year that I'd been here.

Maybe I could run. The thought occurred to me. Tantalising close, freedom stretched all around me.

But where would I go?

"What do you want?" My voice was low and deadly.

"Since we've obviously lost it. We need you to find it, the Tesseract,"

Tesseract. Becky Banner. Bruce Banner. Cell. Helicarrier. Loki. The Avengers.

His thoughts drifted in a tangled array, Fury seemed to have a lot on his plate with this whole new portal thing.

"What's the Avengers?" I quipped. Fury seemed taken back but quickly recovered, I rolled my eyes and explained, "you shouldn't keep secrets from someone who can read minds,"

"The Avengers is a response team, once you locate the Tesseract they will go and find it,"

Not the whole truth.

"And I assume you're planning to drag in my brother for your games?"

"The fate of the world is no game, Miss Banner," Fury snapped, distantly I could see the security lights of the clean-up crews. Fury's private helicopter would be arriving soon.

"It is, you just call it bigger words with more meaning. But in the end, your taking risks, gambling high bets... Playing a game," my hands clenched and my knuckles began to grow white.

Fury took a moment to reply, letting me let go of a fraction of my anger.

"Will you or will you not help us find the Tesseract?"

I stood back, having made my point. In a completely conversational tone I said, "Sure, I guess you'll drag me in anyway,"

A/N: A really short chapter. If you haven't noticed, the spelling is British/ Australian spelling. Apologies to any of the American readers.

Question of the Day: If you had any power, what would it be?

Attached is my favourite Avengers meme that I have found, it had me cracking up for hours afterwards.

HULK SMASH!