Boise

5 Months Later

"I don't want you to go." April says as I lay on her chest on a freezing Sunday morning. Sun streams in from the windows in Mer's attic as she rubs my bare back. Covered by five blankets to conserve heat between us.

"I have to use my amazing surgery skills to save theses two babies lives." I say listening to her heartbeat. I have to go to Boise with Mer, Derek, Mark, Alex, and Cristina to do surgery on a set of conjoined twins. That means two days away from April. We're both dreading the day I have to leave.

"Ah yes you're amazing surgery skills." April giggles as she runs her fingers through my hair. I nuzzle my head between her chin and neck and close my eyes. Anywhere with April is my favorite place on earth. "What should we do today? We have all day off."

"Sleep." I drone, trying to stay awake. My eyelids are so heavy I cannot lift them so I except my fate and fall back asleep. It's already 10 AM but working as a surgical resident all week is hard business. Sundays are our one day off a week and I like to use it to catch up on sleep. April doesn't usually feel the same way. She's a morning person, as annoying as that is, it usually helps me get up earlier.

"Sleep all you want honey, I'm not going anywhere." She says wrapping her soft arms around my neck. I want to stay in our warm cocoon forever, safe from the winter air.

I slowly drift awake as my eyelids fight to open. I lift my head to see April smiling down at me.

"Did you sleep at all?" I ask groggily.

"No." She smiles down at me, melting my entire body.

"I'm sorry. You didn't have to lay here with me." I say, feeling awful I made her lay here for hours probably bored out of her mind. I turn my attention to the alarm clock to my right that reads "1:34". "Omg I'm so sorry you've been laying here for hours I'm so sor-" April cuts me off by putting a hand on my face. I turn to face her and her head is tilted, smiling at me.

"I wanted to lay with you. I would lay here forever if it meant I could be with you." I turn around to sit on her lap, facing her.

"I love you so much April Kepner." I say wrapping my hands around her neck and tucking my face into her neck.

"I love you Lexie Grey." We never believed in saying 'I love you too'. I think it always sounds forced and like they're only saying it because I said it. We've never said 'I love you too'. Always just 'I love you'.

Monday

"I'm gonna miss you so much Lexie." April never believed in calling me Lex or Lexipedia. She said it takes away the value from my name. She loves the name Lexie and how it flows off the tongue so easily.

"I'm gonna miss you too April. It'll only be two days max." I say, wrapping my arms around her and hugging her as tight as the night we got back together. The only thing that's different is I have full use of both my arms. I unlatch my arms as I hear commotion coming from behind April.

"You're a trader! I'm not letting you go on a plane representing this hospital!" Arizona yells at Alex as he stands struck next to her. She grabs his bag and rushes out the door before Alex can stop her. I look at April and start laughing before taking my own stuff out to the shuttle. I turn around to wave at April to see she's already waving.

"Call me as soon as you land."

Hours later

I wake up to the sound of screaming, birds screaming, smoke, and the immense pain from my lower chest down the my feet. Also, i cannot feel my whole left arm so I don't even know if it's there. I try to slow my breathing and figure out what's going on.

The last thing I remember is being on a plane to Boise. I remember the whole plane shaking with turbulence then it shooting to the ground. Then I remember getting ripped out of the back of the plane. The cool winter air freezing my body. I think I lost consciousness after that because I couldn't remember anything else.

I try to listen out for any other voices. I hear Arizona crying in pain and Cristina yelling something. She sounds in shock.

"WE WERE IN A PLANE, AND IT CRASHED!!! PLANE CRASH!!!" She yelled in a screech. I search around me for something to make noise with. I try screaming but that causes blood to spurt out of my mouth. From what I assume, we'll be out here for a few days and losing so much blood right now it probably not a good idea.

I spot my seatbelt laying on the ground next to me. A lot of help that provided me. I pick it up and bang the metal clasp against the huge metal airplane wing on top of me. I hope everyone can hear it. I hit the wing repeatedly, hoping for anyone's attention. If I'm dying, I need someone to hear my last words. If I dont survive, I need somebody to tell April how much I love her.

CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG!

I continue repeatedly until I hear the crunch of sticks and leaves coming from a few hundred feet away. I smack the plane harder and harder, taking my anger out on it a little bit. Anger for getting me stuck. Anger for possibly killing me. Anger for not letting me see April one last time. Letting me say goodbye.

"LEXIE?!" I hear Mer call out as she runs over to my noise. "LEX!" She screams as she spots me. Mark, Mer, and Cristina come into my vision in-front of me as I feel blood filling my mouth. I spit it out to all of there surprise.

"You're gonna be fine Lex! Just fine." Mer says reassuring me.

"Run it down. What are your symptoms?" Cristina says, treating a traumatic tragedy as a surgical case.

"My pelvis and legs are completely crushed, I can't feel my left arm so I'm not sure it's even there, and my chest feels like it's going to explode so I assume it's a massive pneumothorax." I say in between coughing fits of blood.

Mer reaches out to grab my hand in hers. "You're gonna be fine hon. Just fine." She says, tears quickly falling down her face. I smile at her ignorance. We both know there's nothing we can do.

"Meredith I need you to promise me something. I need you to promise me you will survive to pass on my last words."

"Don't say that Lex! You're gonna be fine. It's my job as your big sister to make sure you're safe and that's what I'm going to do!"

"Mer just promise me!"

"I promise you but you'll be able to say this all to them in person."

"I need you to tell April how much I love her. Tell her she's all I think about. Every waking moment of my life is dedicated to her and my dreams are dedicated to our future. Tell her she is everything to me and I love her. Tell her I want her to find someone new to love. I don't want her to be hurting alone. Please watch after her for me Mer. Can you do that for me please?"

"Yes Lex. I'll do it for you." She says laying her head on our interlocked hands. She takes her other hand and strokes my hair. My vision starts to darken around the edges and I know this is the end. This is it. This is the end. The final seconds.

"I love you Mer." I quietly spit out as my vision completely vanishes and is replaced by a bright white light. I'm not scared to die. I know one day I'll be joined by April. I hope not too soon. I will miss her but I would rather her live her life out. I hope she gets married to a wonderful person and has lots of kids. I hope she buys the house on fisher street we always walked by and said we would start our family in. I hope she has the most wonderful life even if I'm not apart of it.