Chapter 3

Jeff and I drove to his Los Angeles home immediately to get started with ideas before it all hit me.

I had nothing and only a couple days to make something happen.

"We don't even have a studio," I said to my good friend, "yours is in London."

"You know who has a studio we can use," he then said looking at me.

My brain felt like scrambled eggs, I couldn't even think at all, let alone read his mind.

"Who?" I asked him.

"Bob Dylan," he said excitedly.

Bob has been a good friend of mine for over two decades. The only friends I've had longer than him were my previous band mates.

We called him immediately to which I was surprised he even answered. He was usually hard to get a hole of. He told us he was actually in the studio in his garage working on his own new projects with Roy Orbison.

My heart skipped a beat. This was turning into fate.

Roy and Bob were legends and my good friends. I knew between the four of us musicians we could get a song, one worthy of being a single, knocked out in no time.

"We're doing this," Jeff said excitedly as we began to drive toward Malibu to Bob's home.

"My guitar," I then sat up straight in the passenger seat as Jeff drove.

"Bob has plenty," he laughed at the absurdity.

"It's my good luck charm," I told him.

"We could go get it, and bring Tom along," he suggested. We weren't too far from there.

"Tom should be there too," I agreed.

"He could be the 5th Beatle," Jeff made a joke.

After a moment of silence we both broke out in laughter. This was starting to feel like we were creating a band with all the talent we were bringing together.

When we got to Tom my guitar was finished and he and Lauren were sitting on his patio watching Ethan play out in the yard.

"You're back!" Lauren said excitedly, "how did things go?"

"How's the groom and the best man doing?" Tom made sure to bring up the fact that we had just gotten remarried without his knowledge and that Jeff was there with us. 

"About that," I laughed now wishing Lauren hadn't told him. I didn't want him to be upset right now. I needed his talents to help write a song.

I then filled them in on what happened today and where Jeff and I were headed. Tom immediately got some things together to join Jeff and I and Lauren decided to stay back while we all went to make some music.

"We won't be back for hours," I told her and she assured me she would be fine.

When we finally got to Bob's studio we all sat around talking about our projects and the guys were all determined to help me out.

"Do you have any ideas?" Bob asked me out right, "a love song, a rock ballad, a sad song... upbeat?"

That pretty much summed up the kind of songs I write. I just didn't know what I wanted. Most of the other songs on this album were songs about my life.

"Well George and Lauren are newly married again maybe something about their relationship," Tom said. 

He wasted no time spilling the beans.