Chapter 13

"I wish Ollie could have come," our son Darry said as we stepped off the plane in New York City.

"I believe he was here a week ago," I pointed out, "he isn't missing out... he's the lucky one that gets to travel all around."

"You used to tour all around, right dad?" Annie then asked me.

"Well that was a very long time ago," I smiled and then looked at Lauren.

She didn't even really know that life. I played shows here and there in the seventies but I stopped touring with the Beatles shortly before I met her. She didn't witness the height of beatlemania when we couldn't even walk down the street without screaming fans chasing us everywhere.

I wasn't sure if my kids understood the gravity of the situation back in the sixties.

"This is my territory," Lauren said to the three kids here with us, "I am so glad we are here to visit."

"Where are we going first?" Darry then asked her.

"To visit an old friend," she said happily.

This was the Lauren I knew and loved and missed dearly. The one who wanted to be with and connect with people. She has had so many friends and people who have adored her and in the last few years she has not wanted to keep up with appearances.

Everyone has been so worried about her.

Somehow I knew the friend she wanted to visit would be Jenna.

I met her good friend Jenna the same time I met Lauren. They were in London together at the time and so it's her longest lasting friendship. Jenna was there for everything we've been through. Whether she was across the Atlantic or not... she was still just a phone call away for Lauren.

We walked into a building downtown and up to the floor where her modeling agency was.

The moment the two of them saw each other there were loud cries followed by laughter and then jumping up and down.

That was the image of pure happiness. Everyone was a witness to it.

"You are all so grown up!" She said to the kids who barely knew or remembered her.

"It's a pleasure to see you," I gave her a hug and she was happy to have us all there.

"How long are you in New York for?" She asked us.

"Only a couple days before heading back to England," I then said.

Jenna then walked over to her desk and looked at the calendar on it and rummaged through a few things.

"We should.... all go do something," she then suggested. I couldn't tell if she was making sure her schedule was clear for us or if she wanted us to get out before something else was to take place here.

I knew Jenna would want to protect Lauren if it was anything that might make her emotional. This used to be her world.

"That would be lovely," Lauren said, "but first show me what you've been up to... how many clients do you have?"

Lauren was very adamant but I looked to Jenna and understood that she wanted help.

"I'm going to get the driver and tell him to pull around," I said to them and made my exit swiftly to head down.

I pressed the button for the elevator and waited a moment and then I was met by the gaze of a woman to whom I was quite familiar.

"George?" She said in shock and looked around.

My heart started to pound out of my chest. I didn't know what to say or how to respond. The history was there and she knew me too well.

"Livie," I spoke.

"What are you...? Is... Lauren here?" She started voicing all of her questions.

Olivia stayed in this industry these past six years. She's been back and forth between LA and NYC and I then realized this was why Jenna wanted us to leave. She didn't want Lauren and I to have to see her.

I was glad I was able to come out and intercept her before the kids saw her. They would have many emotions if they did.

"Come," I said to her and walked her down a hallway and found an open door.

We walked inside and I closed it behind us.

"I don't think it's wise for Lauren to see you... or the kids," I said.

"The kids are here?" she looked like she herself was growing emotional.

I nodded sympathetically.

I knew I shouldn't even be alone with her like this. I wasn't expecting to see her right here in front of me after all of these years without her in my life. 

"I get the hint," she then said before taking a look at me, "You look good, by the way."

Her gaze was more tempting than I had ever thought it could be. I spent years loving this woman, and I truly did love her. I only decided that my love for Lauren and for our children was more important at the time.

Lauren then choosing me over Glyn set up a sequence of events that led to pain and confusion and years of coping with tragedy for Lauren. Then she decided to marry me and we were happy. 

Then I ruined everything with my little scheme.  I know Lauren still loves Tom but is choosing me.

"George?" Olivia asked me, growing concerned that I was deep in thought.

"You look.... beautiful," I said to her. 

"Look, I had no idea you would be here or I wouldn't have come to see Jenna," she said, "We had a meeting scheduled."

"It all makes sense now," I said, "she didn't want us here when we showed up, like someone was coming she didn't want us to see."

"I am that someone," she nodded. It made sense to both of us.

"We shouldn't be in here," I then looked to leave out of the door we came in.

"Does Lauren hate me that much?" she then asked as she leaned against the door. I needed to leave and soon, this was all too tempting.

"I don't know that she has even thought about you lately," I told her truthfully, "but she is going through a lot right now."

"I bet she is," she understood. She honestly had no idea though as to what has happened as of late.

I thought for a moment about my family, and how this was the last thing we needed right now and then I did something rash.

"Meet me tomorrow," I said to my ex lover, knowing I shouldn't.

She looked at me in disbelief that I would want to.

"Name the time and place," she said smiling and then agreed to go and cancel today's meeting with Jenna down at the front desk.