Chapter 26

I didn't know if I was excited for Tom or nervous for Lauren. She was getting older and already had four kids and lost two. I knew she didn't want to go through the pain of losing a child again.

Tom, however, deserved to have a child of his own more than anyone.

The next couple of weeks were hard keeping it a secret. Tom had told me in confidence because he was so excited... but he knew it was a mistake because Lauren wasn't ready to tell anyone, even me.

The only person I told was Olivia who was just as shocked as I was. I was lucky she didn't want to have any more babies. She was content just having Dhani because we already had a big family.

This was going to be crazy news once it did come out. Tom was going to be a father and he was going to know how it feels to hold your own flesh and blood in your arms for the first time. It's a feeling like no other.

Today Tom and I were getting on a flight to meet with the other Wilburys in America to record a new music vido foro our song "End of the Line."

I had a lot of time to discuss with him how he and Lauren were feeling about this new chapter in life.

"We're almost ready to tell everyone," he said, "the shock and scariness is subsiding for her and it's turning into pure excitement but you know how she feels about having had lost one of her babies."

"She lost two," I reminded him of our first daughter that she lost in a car accident back in 1969.

"I know," he said, "I am sorry... I didn't mean to..."

He started stumbling over his thoughts and then went silent.

We started discussing Ollie next and how we were excited for the music he was making. Tom planned on taking him out on tour with himself and his band next summer and I was in love with the idea. Ollie was on his way to being the biggest thing in music in no time. I hope he creates his own legacy.

The high and excitement we both were feeling upon landing quickly faded. When we landed, Tom and I received horrible news.

Bob and Jeff couldn't get a hold of Roy this morning and when they did finally find him at his home he was found unresponsive due to an apparent heart attack.

An ambulance came and rushed him to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

We rushed over to Bobs house where his wife was making us tea and we all sat around in silence, unsure of how to go on.

Roy was a big part of what brought us all together. He wanted more than anything to be a part of our group. He was the voice that was the glue holding us together.

How could the Traveling Willburys go on without him?

I was so upset a this tragedy and I desperately wanted my wife here to hold on to. I didn't want to travel anymore like this. I didn't want to be away from her.

I got down on the floor in Bobs living room and crossed my legs and began to meditate.

I knew the others were watching and quite frankly I did not care.

I needed to pray and think about Roy and how his soul was departing the earth to be in a better place.

When I opened my eyes a while later I was pleased to see none of the guys had moved. They all closed their eyes and remained here sitting in silence doing their own forms of mental cleansing.

Tom and I eventually went back to his home here in LA and I went straight to sleep. I didn't feel like doing much.

In the morning as we are some breakfast we discussed with our families about if they should fly out or not and decided it may be best for them to come out in the next few days.

Everyone was coming to Los Angeles except Darry who was back at school and Annie who was going to stay with Sandi Lynne who couldn't travel because of an injury. She enjoyed staying with Annie whenever she could.

When I finished talking to my wife about her coming home to her birthplace, in walked Stevie Nicks.

"Hey guys," she called out to us.

"Hey Stevie," Tom greeted her with a hug and kiss on the cheek. They are very close and she didn't even tell him she was coming.

"And Mr. Harrison," she came over to hug me and I gave her a squeeze.

"Good to see you again," I said to her, kindly.

"Likewise, and I am very sorry for the loss of Roy. I know how important he was to you," she said directly to me.

"Thank you," I said to her.

"How's Lauren?" she sat down and turned to Tom.

"She's doing well," he said and I wondered if Stevie knew about the baby.

There's no way she didn't but of course she probably thinks I don't know so she isn't saying anything in front of me.

"George knows," Tom then said.

"Oh good," she got excited, "I love babies and I can't wait for you to have a mini you."

"I think it will be a girl," I predicted and they both looked at me.

"Boy, girl... I'll be happy either way," he assured me and then put his hand on my shoulder.

I took a deep breath and then finally told him I was happy for them.

"When will you guys decide to get married?" Stevie then asked him, reading my mind.

"I don't think Laur is ready for that," he admitted, "were just happy being together and there's no rush on anything."

"I know Lauren Woods and I know Tom Petty," Stevie said aloud, "you need to ask her to marry you as soon as possible, she deserves to be showered with love and celebrated."

"I would marry her tomorrow," Tom then said.

"Then why don't you... wont she be here tomorrow?" Stevie asked. 

"Maybe I can ask her in a special way but no, we are not getting married here... without her children."

He was right, there was no way she would agree to that with Darry and Annie in England. I had just about enough of listening to my good friends talking about how one of them was going to marry my ex wife. I stood up and went outside for a walk. I focused on my breathing which was getting more and more shallow lately. I didn't have time for or want to see any doctors or tell my family. 

I hoped all I needed was to be a little more active and focus more on meditation and being one with my breath.

....

The very next day I was reunited with my family. Olivia walked into Tom's house where I have been staying and I immediately picked her up and swung her around. I loved this woman with all of my heart.

Lauren walked in and saw this and gave me a smile and walked right out of the room to find Tom.

A minute later Ollie walked in with Dhani and Ethan; they must have been playing around out in the front yard.

Once we were all together, Jeff and Bob came over and we sat around and ate takeout food and talked about the memories the group of us had with Roy Orbison. It was after talking among the women and ourselves that we decided we should go ahead with the music video as a tribute to Roy who would have wanted us to. 

It truly was The End of the Line for us as a group of 5 and we needed to make him proud in whatever way we could. I worked extremely hard with Jeff to make it happen on such a short notice but we figured out the way to portray the lyrics we had  - as a video. We wanted to do it with Roy's voice and his presence still involved and we would do this by all being on a railroad - on a train "travelling" as our name suggests. 

Only Roy wouldn't be with us. We would have a portrait of him travelling with us as we ride toward the end of the line with him.

It was the best possible send off.